E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

3 posters

Taido - "The most modern budo"

Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Taido - "The most modern budo" Empty Taido - "The most modern budo"

Post by Cichorei Kano Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:34 am

A discipline with what appears to be a relatively large theatrical component (people intentionally aiming to kick over one's head instead of on it, etc.), and physiologically and energetically rather inefficient. Other questions that need an answer are what the prospects are for anyone past their 30s or elderly practitioners in this discipline.

Taido - "The most modern budo" Empty Re: Taido - "The most modern budo"

Post by Guest Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:40 am

Every time I need to strike someone who is behind me I always do a back flip.
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:10 am

Dave R. wrote:Every time I need to strike someone who is behind me I always do a back flip.

You do that too ?! Very Happy 

But seriously, it does seem a bit of a more 'proficient' version of what we currently know under the name "Judo Show" is evolving towards. There are already several jû-no-kata competitors where what they perform has little to do with jûdô and where it turns out the performers have a gymnastics past and have turned this entirely into some aesthetic performance play. I have little doubt that if the performers from these clips make it a bit more judo-like and perform with the acrobatic and gymnastic abilities they have, that they would medal in "Judo Show".
    afulldeck
    afulldeck

Post by afulldeck Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:51 am

Cichorei Kano wrote:

A discipline with what appears to be a relatively large theatrical component (people intentionally aiming to kick over one's head instead of on it, etc.), and physiologically and energetically rather inefficient. Other questions that need an answer are what the prospects are for anyone past their 30s or elderly practitioners in this discipline.

Was real judo just too hard? Did someone in japan feel left out of the capoeira tent? Unless your a small, very friendly monkey I don't think this is useful for, or should be classify as, a Martial art...There isn't one move that anyone at 85+ kg would do, at least more than once Twisted Evil
    DougNZ

Post by DougNZ Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:00 am

During my time studying ju-jitsu I have been fortunate to be involved in its many facets.  I began learning for self defence, became involved in the 'art', competed in sport ju-jitsu, performed and competed in demonstration ju-jitsu, trained and coached cage fighting, studied ju-jitsu for security work, taught kids' ju-jitsu, refereed to international level and I've been on both sides of the mat at formal gradings.  Each of these facets have different objectives, different skills, different tactics and different means of preparation in order to excell.  

I've never trained in Taido but I think I can draw some parallels with ju-jitsu.  All ju-jitsu is 'pretend'; rules and etiquette are designed to protect us and our training partners / opponents.  Even in the brutal context of cage fighting, there is no eye gouging or biting or groin strikes, and competitors respect the tap out.  

Demonstration ju-jitsu is fun and very challenging.  Choreography must take into account entertainment, alignment to the audience, flow and even visual humour.  Performers must have impeccable technique, distancing, timing, ukemi and must display a reasonable level of gymnastic ability.  I respect that.  It's not my cup of tea but I respect that.  At one world games I competed at, one of the members of the USA demonstration team was from the set of 'Karate Kid'.  He did techniques that were mind-boggling but was adament that he would not put his ju-jitsu to the test on the competition mat.  Fair enough; I could have not put on a precise and entertaining demonstration on the spot, either.

The club I train at focuses on no-nonsense self defence ju-jitsu.  We also enter a few competitions and every now and again I have the senior class put on a demonstration for the kids at the end-of-year break-up.  Black belts look like beginners when asked to sort out a performance.  They soon get into it, though, and I think the whole experience adds to their development as ju-jitsuka and human beings.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 10:38 am