E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

5 posters

Y. Yamashita on Putin.

JakubMB

Y. Yamashita on Putin. Empty Y. Yamashita on Putin.

Post by JakubMB Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:56 am

While searching for info for my thesis (Japan's foreing policy under Junichiro Koizumi) I stumbled upon an article written by Yasuhito Yamashita about Vladimir Putin i Gaiko Forum, a magazine on Japanese foreign policy. Pretty cool eh? Smile

http://www.gaikoforum.com/30-Yamashita.pdf
    DougNZ

Y. Yamashita on Putin. Empty Re: Y. Yamashita on Putin.

Post by DougNZ Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:25 am

Great article, thank you.

At the risk of hijacking the thread, I was interested in the substance and outcome of the alluded-to 2001 'Judo Renaissance' project. Can anyone comment?
    JakubMB

Post by JakubMB Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:36 am

I was actually interested in that too. Can someone, please, elaborate? I know that it's all about the preservation of proper ettiquette and proper judo style of fighting, but I can't find much more. No web site, nothing.
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:34 am

It was strictly aimed at Japan so it's only in Japanese....
    http://www.judo.or.jp/renaissance/
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:48 pm

I wonder how many people at the Kôdôkan or AJJF would understand what Renaissance really means ?

Just like Westerners often struggle fully understanding the meaning of Japanese words, sometimes the same exists the other way around. People often choose foreign words "because they sound cool", and that's about it ...
    DougNZ

Post by DougNZ Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:56 pm

Cichorei Kano wrote:I wonder how many people at the Kôdôkan or AJJF would understand what Renaissance really means ?
    Certainly, the use of the word in the paragraph in the article provided seems correct. Returning to the original ideals of judo seems like an apt 'rebirth'. I cannot comment on the use, if any, in the Japanese article provided by NBK.
    DougNZ

Post by DougNZ Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:02 pm

Yamashita on the Judo Renaissance:

http://www.judo-voj.com/contents/judorenaissance.html

I would love to know how people went about the renaissance and how its success - or otherwise - was measured.
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:07 pm

DougNZ wrote:
    Cichorei Kano wrote:I wonder how many people at the Kôdôkan or AJJF would understand what Renaissance really means ?
    Certainly, the use of the word in the paragraph in the article provided seems correct.  Returning to the original ideals of judo seems like an apt 'rebirth'.  I cannot comment on the use, if any, in the Japanese article provided by NBK.
    If all one wants to say (in English) is "rebirth" one can simply say "rebirth", just like if all one wants to express in Japanese is rebirth one can simply say shôu or one of the many terms from the Pure Land Buddhism that refer to this concept. The term "renaissance" is far more than and implies many values that are anathema to what is going on. The meaning of 'Renaissances' is as much limited to 'rebrith' as that the meaning of "Aufklährung" is limited to the weather changing and the clouds letting the sun through.
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:23 pm

NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:38 am

DougNZ wrote:
    Certainly, the use of the word in the paragraph in the article provided seems correct.  Returning to the original ideals of judo seems like an apt 'rebirth'.  I cannot comment on the use, if any, in the Japanese article provided by NBK.
    Renaissance itself is a loan word to English. One Japanese dictionary I glanced at had a couple of pages of origin, background, explanations and derivations of 'Renaissance' so I expect Japanese think they have a meaning for it even if it doesn't comport to our specific notions.

Regarding the comment of 'I would love to know how people went about the renaissance and how its success - or otherwise - was measured.' I asked the same - what was the budget, goals, measurements of the success or failure of such, etc. - and the response was to stare at me as if I had grown a third eye... cyclops  Perhaps the new AJJF leadership has a better handle on such management tools.

Speaking of, what I hear is that the expectation is that Muneoka kaicho is a placeholder as AJJF chairman for a couple of years then Yamashita sensei will be coronated. Back to the competitor paradigm..... pale 
    DougNZ

Post by DougNZ Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:11 am

NBK wrote:
    DougNZ wrote:
    Renaissance itself is a loan word to English.  One Japanese dictionary I glanced at had a couple of pages of origin, background, explanations and derivations of 'Renaissance' so I expect Japanese think they have a meaning for it even if it doesn't comport to our specific notions.
    Precisely. I bet the Japanese have as correct a usage of 'Renaissance' as the English did when it was borrowed from across the Channel to label the literary and artistic movement of the fifteenth century. I really don't think high horses need be ridden on this point. More important is that some people cared enough to revisit and ponder Kano's early teachings, and consider how they might be applied in the new millenium.
    JakubMB

Post by JakubMB Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:57 pm

Renaissance is rebirth. If they feel it need to rebirth after a bad period it pretty much used in the correct meaning. The rebirth of judo as arts - Yamashita feels Japan needs to produce more "aesthetic" judo (etiquette, throws and other techniques), as they did in the old days. That's what Yamashita is stressing and IMO it covers quite a big chunk of what renaissance means. The renaissance can also be understood as the rebirth of science. We just heard what happened at Tenri, or with the ladies' head coach just a few months ago. That's no respect for that art, and by no means a scientific approach to sports. My restoring respect and proper atiquette this could be partly achieved. The seniors would stop destroying kohai's eardrums and go back to what judo is all about: physics!

As I understand it the coolness of using a foreign word is a factor here too. I remember that in marketing they often use words or letters which are or at least seem foreign to attract attention of the potential customer. In Poland there are lots of companies ending with an "x", or using "v" instead of "w", because the marketers think it looks or sound cool. Both of these letters do not appear in regular Polish.
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:24 pm

NBK wrote:
    DougNZ wrote:
    Renaissance itself is a loan word to English.  One Japanese dictionary I glanced at had a couple of pages of origin, background, explanations and derivations of 'Renaissance' so I expect Japanese think they have a meaning for it even if it doesn't comport to our specific notions.

Regarding the comment of 'I would love to know how people went about the renaissance and how its success - or otherwise - was measured.'  I asked the same - what was the budget, goals, measurements of the success or failure of such, etc. - and the response was to stare at me as if I had grown a third eye...  cyclops  Perhaps the new AJJF leadership has a better handle on such management tools.

Speaking of, what I hear is that the expectation is that Muneoka kaicho is a placeholder as AJJF chairman for a couple of years then Yamashita sensei will be coronated.  Back to the competitor paradigm.....  pale 
    Of course it is a loan word (and so is "judo" []ya know, like "judo chops" and "judo kicks" ... or "jujutsu" or "Aufklärung even though "Enlightenment" -- the one written with a capital is specific enough, but probably because Enlightenment also had distinctive historical development in England), but one with a very specific context, just like there is a very specific context (or there should be one) when one in English feels the need to use just that specific word instead of the English word "rebirth".

The term implies as such, particularly humanism, and revival of classical values, a bit like your favorite "invented tradition" of bushidô. In addition there is a multifactorial embracing of liberal arts-like multi-values. In other words, everything that is currently present. In summary, they may well have had a "rebirth" in mind, but a "renaissance" it surely never has been, and I don't see that happening within the current judo population either. Shortcuts, fighting, winning, and back home to count the money.

Hey, we can continue our conversation over a drink at "Meetsplace". Oh wait, what "Meetsplace" isn't English, but ... it sounds English, no, even although no dictionary would contain such an afterbirth of a word ...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:53 pm