E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

2 posters

E.C.D. Rawlings, founded jujutsu club at Cambridge

NBK
    NBK

E.C.D. Rawlings, founded jujutsu club at Cambridge Empty E.C.D. Rawlings, founded jujutsu club at Cambridge

Post by NBK Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:39 am

Hi. Anyone have any info on a Mr. Rawlings?

'In 1906 a ju-jitsu club was formed at Trinity College, Cambridge University by E.C.D. Rawlings, with a membership of 25. '

I have some info that he was later attached to the UK Embassy in Germany, but can't find anything else about him.

Thanks,
    NBK
    DougNZ

E.C.D. Rawlings, founded jujutsu club at Cambridge Empty Re: E.C.D. Rawlings, founded jujutsu club at Cambridge

Post by DougNZ Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:04 pm

Try this:

http://opus.bath.ac.uk/12890/1/Callan_PHD.pdf

Another of Yukio Tani's teachings.
    NBK
    NBK

E.C.D. Rawlings, founded jujutsu club at Cambridge Empty Re: E.C.D. Rawlings, founded jujutsu club at Cambridge

Post by NBK Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:56 am

Thank you - perfect.  I looked everywhere, I thought, but that's just what I needed.

I was shown a photo of ECD Rawlings, while assigned to the British Embassy in Germany in the early 1930's, joining Kano shihan, Baron Okura Kishichiro (second chairman of the Okura zaibatsu that includes the Okura Hotel chain, a renowned sportsman) at a dinner to discuss judo.

Baron Okura went to Cambridge with Rawlings, and they were cited as old friends who had practiced judo together. Okura must have cut quite a figure, being Japanese and apparently very wealthy, including being in the first auto race at Brooklands, supposedly. I'm checking old Judo mags to see if Okura had formal judo rank. He studied at the old Keio Gijuku (now Keio U.) which had a very famous judo club, started with the help of Uchida Ryohei and taught by Yamashita sensei.

Does the UK judo org have records of old ranks, such as Rawlings may have had?
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:35 am

DougNZ wrote:Try this:

http://opus.bath.ac.uk/12890/1/Callan_PHD.pdf

Another of Yukio Tani's teachings.
    From the above link, pg 53:
    "
    In 1906 Evelyn Charles Donaldson Rawlins founded the Trinity College Ju-jitsu club
    for the study of judo, with an initial membership of 25. Trinity is a College of
    Cambridge University founded in 1546 by King Henry VIII. Bowen, 2006, contends
    that this is the oldest judo club in Europe. Alumni of Trinity include the physicist, Sir Isaac Newton and the poets Lord Byron and Lord Tennyson. The Great Court Run, a Trinity athletic tradition is a central scene in the film “Chariots of Fire” (David Puttnam, 1981).

Mr E. C. D. Rawlins was born in 1884, and schooled at Eton College. Following a period in Geneva, where he worked as an interpreter, he went up to Cambridge University to Trinity College. The Ju-jitsu Club was supported by Mr J. R. Hetherington of Pembroke College. Three other Trinity College men, Messers Bouwens, Scanes and Napier also supported the club, acting as recruiters. Mr Hetherington became the Honorary Secretary and Treasurer to the fledgling club. Information related to the origins of Cambridge Judo is thanks to a letter written by Evelyn Rawlins discussing the
    founding of the club. A copy of the letter was kindly passed to the members of the current Cambridge University Judo Club by Sir John Rawlins, E. C. D. Rawlins’ nephew and Oxford University Judo Club President 1941-2. In the letter, Rawlins notes that the club grew rapidly and soon required to engage the services of Mr Yukio Tani and Mr Eida on a daily basis. It is known that Yukio Tani was brought to England in 1900 by Mr Edward Barton Wright, an engineer who had learnt ju-jitsu whilst in Japan. However little is known about Mr Eida.

Rawlins went on to a life in the civil service, and on 11th December 1937, King George VI appointed him to be His Majesty’s Consul General for the Republic of Bolivia.
    "

DougNZ

Post by DougNZ Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:47 am

NBK wrote:Does the UK judo org have records of old ranks, such as Rawlings may have had?  
    Harrison, A. P. (1959). Every boy's judo. London: Stanley Paul - this book includes the British Register of Black Belts (as at 30th October 1958).  It shows dan holders' highest rank and date of award.  The earliest I noted was 1933.  Rawlin(g)s was not included in the list.  In fact, none of those mentioned in the article were listed.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:03 am