E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+4
FightingSpirit
Neil G
afulldeck
Ricebale
8 posters

Weight Cutting rules are a good innovation

Ricebale
    Ricebale

Weight Cutting rules are a good innovation Empty Weight Cutting rules are a good innovation

Post by Ricebale Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:35 pm

http://www.docdroid.net/6fmi/referee-rules-2014-2016-gb.pdf.html

5% over without a gi.

IMO the weight cutting science has made mismatches due to size differences and also present a serious safety risk to competitors via kidney damage etc.

Not uncommon for a 10kg difference in the 81kg catagory for guys who know how to do a day before weigh in oroperly.

One of the few sensible innovations I've seen, will have teething issues.

Thoughts?
    afulldeck
    afulldeck

Weight Cutting rules are a good innovation Empty Re: Weight Cutting rules are a good innovation

Post by afulldeck Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:53 am

Not a fan of weight cutting and anything to make it harder to weight cut for shia is good in my books.
    Ricebale
    Ricebale

Weight Cutting rules are a good innovation Empty Re: Weight Cutting rules are a good innovation

Post by Ricebale Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:45 am

I wondered where this thread got moved to.

This is a Judo rules discussion btw not health and fitness! !
    afulldeck
    afulldeck

Post by afulldeck Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:48 am

Ricebale wrote:I wondered where this thread got moved to.

This is a Judo rules discussion btw not health and fitness! !
    Agreed, but one of the administrators must have disagreed.
    Neil G
    Neil G

Post by Neil G Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:08 am

We used to do something like this at local tournaments in the 70s - if you made top 3, you had to make weight again before you could get your medal. I thought it was a good rule then and I like where they're going now.

They should do something similar in pro MMA before someone gets hurt with the insane weight cuts they do.
    afulldeck
    afulldeck

Post by afulldeck Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:29 am

Neil G wrote:
    They should do something similar in pro MMA before someone gets hurt with the insane weight cuts they do.
    No kidding. Ronda did an insane 17 lb cut in 24 hour period for TUF just because one guy from the team didn't make weight and to prove that anyone can do it if they just stayed in the sauna. That puts Ronda's mindset in 'unique' place, but that couldn't be good for her body.
    FightingSpirit
    FightingSpirit

Post by FightingSpirit Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:12 pm

Seems an unnecessary inconvenience/distraction for the majority of competetors to have to worry about their weight again, on the day of their competition...  
    Not sure of the scientific basis for applying the 5% weight allowance universally for all weight classes, without any consideration for the %body fat of individual fighters across the range of weight classes...  
    Not sure what the issue is if fighters are able to successfully (ie healthy) manage weight and fight without ill effects.  
    If the concern is genuine concern for unhealthy weight loss, than maybe they should be looking at measuring body fat percentages at weighins, with a scientific basis for what is deemed un-safe/un-healthy %bodyfat based upon height and girth measurements...
    davidn

Post by davidn Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:53 am

I do not understand the point of the second weight check.

Either weight cutting is encouraged (weight check day before and those who are better at cutting and rehydrating get an advantage, which could lead to some larger weight differences than the categories would indicate)

or weight cutting is discouraged (weight check right before first match. Should you choose to cut weight, you fight at disadvantage of being dehydrated)

Either way, no need for a second check.
    Rightintheface

Post by Rightintheface Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:51 am

Weight cutting, done properly, is not a danger. People certainly take it too far, but I personally favor the day before weigh in. My reasoning is: people will cut weight regardless. However, weighing in the day before allows a persont o rehydrate. That lowers their risk of physiological issues. They step on the mat heavier, but healthier. I understand the argument against it from a mutual benefit and welfare standpoint, but as wirh many topics, I tend to favor the "teach people to use the tool responsibly and safely" approach over the overt ban/discourage method.

Example: i just cut from 210-215 to 182.5 in about 8 weeks. I ate clean, changed my workout regimen including more plyo and cardio and less heavy weightlifting, etc. i "cut" about 2 total lbs of water at the end, and felt fine about an hour and 2 gatorades after stepping off the scale. I had a more fun and educational tournament because I wasn't just trapped underneath big gorillas all day. I fought guys my size and had a great time. Used responsibly, I had no difficulty making weight using sound cutting strategy.
    NittyRanks
    NittyRanks

Post by NittyRanks Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:23 am

I really, really wonder how big of a difference it makes in the long run. I mean come on. We have three guys that do MMA at our gym and compete, cutting weight it all they talk about. If they just worked on their techniques and hit the heavy bag more it would be worth more than worrying about that.
    finarashi
    finarashi

Post by finarashi Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:33 pm

I hardly ever did weight cutting. If you are intersted in the mental stress, the physical problems and agony of trying to keep at -60 kg then read "Ma diététique de judoka" by Bellard, Franck (1976 - ), Paris, France, Amphora, 2003, 207p, PB, ISBN 2851806297

Weight categories are a great invention, but for some they always are a large problem. I don't think the new rules are an improvement, quite the contrary.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 5:44 pm