E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

3 posters

Toshikazu Okada demonstrating Ne-waza

Ryvai
    Ryvai

Toshikazu Okada demonstrating Ne-waza Empty Toshikazu Okada demonstrating Ne-waza

Post by Ryvai Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:23 am

Not sure if this has been posted here yet. The video featuring Toshikazu Okada (79 years, 6.dan). He is demonstrating newaza techniques based on the legendary newaza system of Tsunetane Oda-sensei. Enjoy Smile

edit1: fixed some typos
    edit2: added follow-up video

Bonus: this video contains some history of Tsunetane Oda, very interesting!
    BillC
    BillC

Toshikazu Okada demonstrating Ne-waza Empty Re: Toshikazu Okada demonstrating Ne-waza

Post by BillC Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:56 am

Ry guy,

You have an excellent eye ... but a bit of background here.

I had the good fortune to train several times with Okada-sensei at the Kodokan, and once he was a guest at our dojo here in SoCal.  The ex-pat American uke in the first video is a friend of mine.  The producer of the second video is a local California sensei of some note ... you will notice the "copyright 2007" note at the beginning of that video.

A few years ago, sadly, Okada-sensei's health failed, and I have not seen him on the mat since that time.

These videos were produced ... and sold ... just prior to that sad event.  Certainly Okada-sensei was enthusiastic about passing along what knowledge he had,  and i do not want to become too personal, but as an aging pensioner he also did not mind getting a few bucks for each copy of the DVD sold.  YouTube as usual shortcuts that.

So posting it here ... do you understand my meaning?  Unless you know that the poster on YouTube has sensei's permission, maybe a good response is to ask YouTube to take the video down.
    Ryvai
    Ryvai

Toshikazu Okada demonstrating Ne-waza Empty Re: Toshikazu Okada demonstrating Ne-waza

Post by Ryvai Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:14 am

BillC wrote:So posting it here ... do you understand my meaning?  Unless you know that the poster on YouTube has sensei's permission, maybe a good response is to ask YouTube to take the video down.

That's unfortunate, I'm sorry to hear that. I did not know about this :/

If there is copyright involved then Youtube should take it down I guess, but I have no knowledge of the legality of this content. I have however ordered some DVD's of Okada-sensei, so he will get my bucks Smile

This uke you are refering to, is that the one starting from 18:35 in the first video? I believe this was the guy I had to pleasure of doing randori with during my stay at the kodokan in 2012. He sounded american, looks just like him, seemed like a great guy, I was a green belt at the time, so he went easy on me :p hehe
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:27 am

Not sure if it was the same "Athens Judo" who posted this video, but maybe it's the same guy.

What happened was, I asked a physician member of our dojo to come up with a pecha-kucha slideshow ... ten common judo injuries and their cause, recognition, first aid and recovery. Neil did a great job, and we posted it to the YDK web site.

A few months later I saw posted on the old JF a link to that exact slide show ... but in Greek! Well, had he asked he was welcome to that one as freeware ... but it's awfully damned cheeky if you ask me.
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 pm

below the video there's a 'flag' icon - used to report that video to the Youtube police, I guess. I don't know whether they try to verify copyright, it sounds like an impossible task.

NBK

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:52 am