E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+4
NBK
heikojr
Lurker
Cichorei Kano
8 posters

2014 IJF Kata Evaluation Criteria

Jonesy
    Jonesy

2014 IJF Kata Evaluation Criteria Empty 2014 IJF Kata Evaluation Criteria

Post by Jonesy Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:17 am

These can be found at the link below:

Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

2014 IJF Kata Evaluation Criteria Empty Re: 2014 IJF Kata Evaluation Criteria

Post by Cichorei Kano Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:28 am

Jonesy wrote:These can be found at the link below:

"Lost of bondages during the execution" (...)

WTF ???????? Is the IJF after the Judo Show now implementing a BDSM kata version ?
    wdax

Post by wdax Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:51 am

Cichorei Kano wrote:

WTF ????????   Is the IJF after the Judo Show now implementing a BDSM kata version ?

I hope not - but I remember a major international competition, where someone lost his bandage and then kicked it off the tatami.
    Lurker

Post by Lurker Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:40 am

I will look at this more closely, thank you for posting. Two questions:

1. a general question. They have now inserted into each Kata that reversing the starting positions is a major mistake with consequences throughout the kata. I agree - if uke and tori are lining up on the wrong sides of the mat, there are issues! My question - why was it necessary to spell this out? I have never seen this happen, even with very nervous and inexperienced performers at small local tournaments; and

2. a specific question. In Katame no Kata the following phrase is now included as a small/medium error: "Tori in chikama breaks his position going half step forward or backward". What does this mean? The failure of Tori to move half a step back into chikama after a technique (or forward from chikama into the next technique) is an error (which I believe is correct)? Tori taking half a step back from chikama (when leaving chikama backwards, Tori is moving on to the next technique so more than half a step is required)? Tori putting in an extra shuffle?

The "bondages"/bandages I have seen happen at several tournaments, including two of the IJF World Championships.
    cokiee

Post by cokiee Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:47 am

At a recently concluded regional level Kata competition, my team was informed through the team managers' briefing that the practice of discarding the top and bottom scores of each pairs' evaluations would now be taken at a technique level rather than at a whole-of-kata level.

Has anyone heard of such an official change please?
    Lurker

Post by Lurker Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:20 am

This is how it is done at the IJF World Championships.
    heikojr
    heikojr

Post by heikojr Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:20 am

Lurker,

I missed you at the Ontario Open... I hope all is well! The beer we owe each other will be warm by the time we meet up!

Are you sure? I believe that they drop the lowest 2 scores from the judges, not the lowest 2 for each technique as cokiee says.

heikojr
    wdax

Post by wdax Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:52 am

This is new in 2014 and was done at the EC and WC. The lowest and highest score per technique is dropped and not the lowest and highest total result of each judge.
    heikojr
    heikojr

Post by heikojr Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:15 am

That seems that it would be a lot more work, much more time consuming and leave room for mistakes. How did the competitors feel that this worked out? WDax, how did you feel this worked out for scores in all kata divisions?

heikojr

NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:31 pm

Cichorei Kano wrote:

WTF ????????   Is the IJF after the Judo Show now implementing a BDSM kata version ?

Laughing

I guess they meant 'loss of bandages' - but why is a this a major flaw unless you're dressed like this?

2014 IJF Kata Evaluation Criteria Mummy-costume

The entire thing could use the edit of someone who speaks English and knows judo - some of it seems confusing to me, relative weighting aside.
    cokiee

Post by cokiee Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:37 am

Lurker wrote:This is how it is done at the IJF World Championships.

wdax wrote:This is new in 2014 and was done at the EC and WC. The lowest and highest score per technique is dropped and not the lowest and highest total result of each judge.

Thanks for the clarification that it is new in 2014, as I don't remember it being this way in Kyoto last year.

I would be keen to know how this might affect the results overall. I'd think the relative positions wouldn't change by very much, but the variances in global scores might become smaller.
    wdax

Post by wdax Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:00 am

cokiee wrote:(...) I would be keen to know how this might affect the results overall. I'd think the relative positions wouldn't change by very much, but the variances in global scores might become smaller.

That is my impression, too. On a high level for example 8pts per Technique is kind of standard score (9pts for opening/closing). in Nage,- Katame- and Ju-no-Kata this would be exactly 438 points, what usually is a place on the podium at WC or EC.

If you now receive a single 9 or a single 7 from one of the judges - and the others still score 8 - this does not effect anything. To effect anything two judges must score either 7 (then you "loose" a point) or 9 (then you win a point).

The problem is, that the judges themselves are ranked by comparing their scores with the scores of the other judges. Scoring 8 pts is "save" for them, scoring 7 or 9 they risk to be marked down themselves, if they are the only one with that score. This leads sometimes to very close overall scores.

Davaro
    Davaro

Post by Davaro Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:33 am

And therein lies the problem. If you believe a technique should score a 9 then so be it. Why, if you are the only person that thinks so, should you be personally marked down?

Perhaps the best way would be to have the judges scores be anon?

Or computer generated using a number pad that simply takes the scores in the order the button is pressed...

This is all a problem for me in kata competition or scoring it for purposes of grading. Two different teams of judges can score it completely different yet both score sets could affect the outcome of the competition or grading. Certainly not an exact science which I guess it never was intended to be.
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:51 pm

I believe it is difficult, if not impossible, to judge kata at all, let alone fairly.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:03 pm