E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+20
idealab
NBK
Fritz
Cichorei Kano
DougNZ
Neil G
Udon
Hanon
medo
Davaro
Glorfindel
seatea
Jonesy
JudoStu
Stacey
Ricebale
GregW
TheWizardofOdds
Anatol
JFTW
24 posters

Is Ronda Rousey the savior judo has been waiting for?

medo

Is Ronda Rousey the savior judo has been waiting for? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Ronda Rousey the savior judo has been waiting for?

Post by medo Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:42 pm

Ricebale wrote:I'm with Medo, don't look at the still photo look at the animated gif, the leg lift comes way after the throw is effected and is due to the body torques imo.

The head area is the throw nexus

KUBI NAGE lol

You old wind up merchant  Laughing come on CK put us right  cheers
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Is Ronda Rousey the savior judo has been waiting for? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Ronda Rousey the savior judo has been waiting for?

Post by Jonesy Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:06 pm

GregW wrote:That 16-second clip could do wonders for judo.  I'm not a big fan of MMA/UFC contests, but if I was a teenager, especially one who was getting shoved around at school and bullied, I'd want to know how to end a fight that quickly.  

It is easy to discern that the decisive move in this fight was the harai goshi.  That's what makes the clip spectacular.  Anyone thinks he can throw a punch.  There's no "magic" in throwing punches to an untrained eye.  However, anyone can see that the throw is the game-changer.  That's what would sell judo over "punching air" in a karate McDojo.  If I was a kid having to survive in the average American high-school, knowing how to toss a bully on his back like that would be a big selling point.  Once again, it is amazing to me how effective judo is!
    You can not do that sort of technique in the street.

You should really emphasis that judo stays in the dojo, unless the situation was really threatening as serious harm could be done to both the thrower and throwee.
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:32 am

medo wrote:
    Ricebale wrote:I'm with Medo, don't look at the still photo look at the animated gif, the leg lift comes way after the throw is effected and is due to the body torques imo.

KUBI NAGE lol

Well, this was one of those very frustrating incidences for me again where I wrote relatively long post, clicked on "send" to publish it, got a message that my post was saved, and gone it was, without a trace. This happens once in a while. I brought this up to the chief-moderator a long time ago, and if I recall well, this could happen if two people at exactly the same moment click 'save'. In any case, because many of my posts are somewhat longer, it is not fun to try rewriting them again from scratch. This means that I almost would have to write every post in WordPad or MS-Word first, give the file a name and save it to make sure this does not happen again, but I find it cumbersome to do that. Currently I only do that when I know beforehand it is going to turn into a very long post or when I know I have to put in several Japanese kanji. For that reason I have made it my policy that if I do all the work and the forum software somehow kills my post, I am not going to rewrite it anymore. I don't mind doing some work, but I do mind if I feel forced having to act like an idiot. I can use my time better then to rewrite the same post several times just because of forum software issues. Please, don't take this personal, since you obviously have nothing to do with this and it is just a general comment.
    Fritz
    Fritz

Post by Fritz Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:11 am

@Cichorei Kano:
    Maybe you should use the "Draft" button more often ;-)

And there is an "Add on" usable at Firefox: "Text Area Cache", sometimes this already saved my work successfully... ;-)
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:35 am

Fritz wrote:@Cichorei Kano:

And there is an "Add on" usable at Firefox: "Text Area Cache", sometimes this already saved my work successfully... ;-)
    ohhh.... DRAFT.... I wondered what that did.... albino

Hey, it works!!

Thanks
    NBK
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:41 am

Thanks, for pointing that out, Fritz. I will certainly check out this Add on.

One thing I have found out though, is that if I use firefox and it crashes, I don't lose the post, but if either my computer freezes (this happens with some regularity due to overheating; it runs at a temperature of approx. 85°C even if no other programs are open or running) I lose the post because I have to reboot after the machine has sufficiently cooled down, or if the post vanishes upon clicking 'save', the same happens.

What I also do not know, is that ... if a post disappears in cyberspace if two people at the same time click 'save', couldn't the same happen if two people at the same time click "draft" or if one clicks "draft" at the same time someone clicks "save" ?
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:42 am

Cichorei Kano wrote:
    medo wrote:

KUBI NAGE lol

Well, this was one of those very frustrating incidences for me again where I wrote relatively long post, clicked on "send" to publish it, got a message that my post was saved, and gone it was, without a trace. This happens once in a while. I brought this up to the chief-moderator a long time ago, and if I recall well, this could happen if two people at exactly the same moment click 'save'. In any case, because many of my posts are somewhat longer, it is not fun to try rewriting them again from scratch. This means that I almost would have to write every post in WordPad or MS-Word first, give the file a name and save it to make sure this does not happen again, but I find it cumbersome to do that. Currently I only do that when I know beforehand it is going to turn into a very long post or when I know I have to put in several Japanese kanji. For that reason I have made it my policy that if I do all the work and the forum software somehow kills my post, I am not going to rewrite it anymore. I don't mind doing some work, but I do mind if I feel forced having to act like an idiot. I can use my time better then to rewrite the same post several times just because of forum software issues. Please, don't take this personal, since you obviously have nothing to do with this and it is just a general comment.

Sometimes you remind me of my grandfather - no time to write a single word answer to the question 'hey, what throw is this?' but somehow there's time to write a 260 word, 1315 character explanation of why you're not writing another explanation.

The motto we ascribed to him was 'Anything worth doing is worth overdoing'.  goodjob 

NBK
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:18 am

medo wrote:

Nope.

Last edited by Cichorei Kano on Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:17 am; edited 2 times in total
    Fritz
    Fritz

Post by Fritz Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:30 am

Cichorei Kano wrote:

Thanks, for pointing that out, Fritz. I will certainly check out this Add on.

One thing I have found out though, is that if I use firefox and it crashes, I don't lose the post, but if either my computer freezes (this happens with some regularity due to overheating; it runs at a temperature of approx. 85°C even if no other programs are open or running) I lose the post because I have to reboot after the machine has sufficiently cooled down, or if the post vanishes upon clicking 'save', the same happens.
    If you work with "Draft", the saved part of a posting should survive :-)
    What I also do not know, is that ... if a post disappears in cyberspace if two people at the same time click 'save', couldn't the same happen if two people at the same time click "draft" or if one clicks "draft" at the same time someone clicks "save" ?
    We have to see. I assume, the error during simultaneous "saving" a message is that the database will be locked for a short moment...
    I think a draft is stored in a different way - its something personal for the user - so there is a chance, that the strange behavior does not occur...
    DougNZ

Post by DougNZ Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:09 am

Cichorei Kano wrote:
    medo wrote:

Nope.

Thanks, CK. Can you expand on that please?
    GregW

Post by GregW Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:33 am

CK,

My posts on this forum are usually not long, but on other forums where I post on other topics, I have gotten into the habit of doing a quick copy of what I wrote before I click send. On a Windows PC, in the window being edited, I do a Control-A to highlight all the text and then Control-C. I'm not sure what the commands are on a Mac, but I'm sure it has a similar capability. If the post gets disintegrated in the process of posting it, I can always open up a notepad window and type Control-V and it will paste it in there to save and re-enter it later. It's just a quick little insurance policy against wasting the time writing and having it disappear.
    medo

Post by medo Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:00 am

Cichorei Kano wrote:
    medo wrote:

Nope.

Sorry CK did not want to cause any hassle or offend although I have 40yrs of Judo practice my knowledge is miniscule lacking your years of hard study. Since joining the old forum and this one you have helped the understanding of so many like myself who even the so called yudansha that I regarded as knowledgable in this country had no answer or frabricated one!

So thank you for any time you can give, it is much appreciated and I should not take for granted your time and dedication on this forum.
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:28 am

GregW wrote:CK,

My posts on this forum are usually not long, but on other forums where I post on other topics, I have gotten into the habit of doing a quick copy of what I wrote before I click send.  On a Windows PC, in the window being edited, I do a Control-A to highlight all the text and then Control-C.  I'm not sure what the commands are on a Mac, but I'm sure it has a similar capability.  If the post gets disintegrated in the process of posting it, I can always open up a notepad window and type Control-V and it will paste it in there to save and re-enter it later.  It's just a quick little insurance policy against wasting the time writing and having it disappear.
    On an Apple the keystrokes are essentially the same:
    'Command ⌘'-A = select all in the active pane or window
    'Command ⌘'-C = copy the selection
    'Command ⌘'-V = paste the copied text
    and there are two finger trackboard commands, too.

That clipboard memory can hold a stupidly large amount of text, even more than CK can type in a single setting. The forum doesn't allow direct pasting of graphics so those simple keystrokes will capture everything, including links and formatting, and save it. I have also lost long draft posts, some my computer's browser's fault, some the forum, but this works unless you encounter the Blue Screen of Death....
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:00 am

GregW wrote:CK,

My posts on this forum are usually not long, but on other forums where I post on other topics, I have gotten into the habit of doing a quick copy of what I wrote before I click send.  On a Windows PC, in the window being edited, I do a Control-A to highlight all the text and then Control-C.  I'm not sure what the commands are on a Mac, but I'm sure it has a similar capability.  If the post gets disintegrated in the process of posting it, I can always open up a notepad window and type Control-V and it will paste it in there to save and re-enter it later.  It's just a quick little insurance policy against wasting the time writing and having it disappear.

Greg,

Often I do, but luckily this problem does not happen very often. However, if one writes as many posts as I do (about 20,000 I believe), even a minor incidence still means a considerable number.

Also, the Notepad option is insufficient as it does not retain the information when my computer crashes, and this happens about 3 times per day, sometimes less on a good day, sometimes more on a bad day. This is a known flaw in the design of my laptop which causes my computer to run at standard temperatures of 85°C which is much higher than a normal computer. This is because the openings in laptop and fan are insufficient to conduct the heat of the process away, and it becomes critical in summer periods. Anytime a file is opened or something extra started like diskdefrag it shoots up even more, and when it peaks at even more, it freezes.  Lately the problem is increased again because since update to Firefox 30, the process Plug-in Container hogs the processor, and so might Windows miraculous "System Idle Processes". For example right now, CPU temperature is 94°C ad nothing is open except for Firefox and E-mail. A simple click might now make my computer crash.

Thanks for your kind suggestions though.
    idealab

Post by idealab Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:39 pm

That's abnormal your computer runs at such high temperature. If it possible the fan is not working, or not working at full capacity. The random crash also may be caused by electrolytic capacitors going bad, this happens when they age, but much more quickly in a very hot environment. Take a look at your motherboard as see if this may be the issue as seen in this video:
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:13 pm

idealab wrote:That's abnormal your computer runs at such high temperature. If it possible the fan is not working, or not working at full capacity. The random crash also may be caused by electrolytic capacitors going bad, this happens when they age, but much more quickly in a very hot environment. Take a look at your motherboard as see if this may be the issue as seen in this video:

Thanks for the help, Idealab.

It's a laptop, and according to the different forums these laptops are known to run at high temperatures (about 60° C); mine runs even much higher, as I mentioned. In general, it appears the typical high temperatures for this type of laptop is caused by a double flaw:

1. the ventilation openings being not ideally located or insufficiently large for the heaviest processors that this laptop can run, and which produce more heat than less powerful processors.

2. apparently the heat sink in these laptops is separated from the CPU and therefore does not optimally guide heat to the fan. So even with lots of thermal paste, there is still too much space.

The only way I can promptly reduced CPU temperature is by unplugging it and running it on battery. Temperature then instantaneously drops by about 20°C. I am not sure why that is, but evidently some processes (defrag, and others) only automatically run when plugged in, and I am sure that that several of the mysterious Windows' "System Idle Processes" also only run when plugged in.

For the rest I think that only external ventilators might be able to reduced the CPU temperature, or modifying and rebuilding the heat sink. There even seems to be a "1 penny solution" where they literally put a penny or a cent in between the heatsink and CPU, which apparently ensures that there is contact between the two. I have not tried that out for the simple reason that I fear that the coin could slip out and make contact between two other structures and produce a short, which would be even worse.
    GregW

Post by GregW Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:04 pm

Good luck with the computer problems, CK Sensei. We all enjoy your posts and I personally read and re-read them because of the depth of information you provide. I've worked in the IT world for a long time and I'm very much of the opinion that the best solutions are the simplest and cheapest ones. Although we have a couple of desktops, a couple of laptops, and a couple of tablets around the house (for the three of us), my favorite one is an Acer netbook running Ubuntu Linux. It's the most reliable PC I've ever had and it's cheap as can be. Good luck finding a solution that works for you.

Wow! Did we get off-topic or what?
    Fritz
    Fritz

Post by Fritz Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:12 pm

Cichorei Kano wrote:The only way I can promptly reduced CPU temperature is by unplugging it and running it on battery. Temperature then instantaneously drops by about 20°C. I am not sure why that is, but evidently some processes (defrag, and others) only automatically run when plugged in, and I am sure that that several of the mysterious Windows' "System Idle Processes" also only run when plugged in.
    Ok, then you have the solution right in front of you:
    You should go into the "energy saving" options and configure the parameters for the "plugged in profile" very similiar to the profile for the "offline accumulator mode"...
    For the offline mode the profile obviously is optimized to save energy, so lesser heat is created,
    for the plugged in mode usually the profile
    is configured for "high performance", which runs the processors at higher tact and voltage and so on...

Anatol

Post by Anatol Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:20 pm

Hi CK

I would apply Judo Principles:

Minimum energy to reach a goal.

Ergo: Never ride a dead horse - buy a new notebook.

idealab

Post by idealab Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:13 pm

Modern mobile CPU allows variable voltage and speed to be set. Like another said, if when on battery, your computer rans 20c cooler, then it means the CPU has reduced its speed and hence heat consumption. You can set this in Windows Power Management setting to make the plugged in option on "Balanced" or "Power Saver". It might even be possible to go into the BIOS setup at the very beginning before booting to the Operating System to make your CPU run slower (when you just power up the computer, depending on the model, it's usually DEL, F2, F10 key to enter BIOS setup). There you can often adjust fan speed, and CPU speed. I hope this will give you a temporary solution to a stable computer until you get another one.
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:26 pm

Fritz wrote:
    Cichorei Kano wrote:The only way I can promptly reduced CPU temperature is by unplugging it and running it on battery. Temperature then instantaneously drops by about 20°C. I am not sure why that is, but evidently some processes (defrag, and others) only automatically run when plugged in, and I am sure that that several of the mysterious Windows' "System Idle Processes" also only run when plugged in.
    Ok, then you have the solution right in front of you:
    You should go into the "energy saving" options and configure the parameters for the "plugged in profile" very similiar to the profile for the "offline accumulator mode"...
    For the offline mode the profile obviously is optimized to save energy, so lesser heat is created,
    for the plugged in mode usually the profile
    is configured for "high performance", which runs the processors at higher tact and voltage and so on...

Fritz, thanks, but that already happened. My CPU does not run on "high-performance" while plugged in, because if I do that, temperature runs even higher. But I intentionally also do not want to set it on minimal energy as it becomes too slow then --I have a lot of programs on my computer. In other words, right now it is already optimized, I am afraid ...
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:32 pm

idealab wrote:Modern mobile CPU allows variable voltage and speed to be set. Like another said, if when on battery, your computer rans 20c cooler, then it means the CPU has reduced its speed and hence heat consumption. You can set this in Windows Power Management setting to make the plugged in option on "Balanced" or "Power Saver". It might even be possible to go into the BIOS setup at the very beginning before booting to the Operating System to make your CPU run slower (when you just power up the computer, depending on the model, it's usually DEL, F2, F10 key to enter BIOS setup). There you can often adjust fan speed, and CPU speed. I hope this will give you a temporary solution to a stable computer until you get another one.

Idealab, thank you, but that was already done. My computer has pretty good power management. This is done by my computer's proprietary software, not by Windows. It isn't set to run at maximal performance while on power, but already on reduced or optimized. There is indeed a setting that would allow me to set it exactly the same as while on battery. I do not do that because if I do, it becomes too slow for my applications. Power settings in the BIOS also are already optimized; same issue there; there still is an option for the very lowest setting, but if chosen, my computer simply is too slow.
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:32 pm

Anatol wrote:Hi CK

I would apply Judo Principles:

Minimum energy to reach a goal.

Ergo: Never ride a dead horse - buy a new notebook.

Thank you. My account is now open for donations.
    Fritz
    Fritz

Post by Fritz Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:20 am

A work colleague of mine has bought an additional external fan device which can be put under the notebook, so that there
    is some space between notebook bottom and desk and some additional air circulation....
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:39 am

Fritz wrote:A work colleague of mine has bought an additional external fan device which can be put under the notebook, so that there
    is some space between notebook bottom and desk and some additional air circulation....

I too have been looking into these devices, as I think it is going to be the only viable solution except for the (for my purposes nonpractical) alternative of putting the CPU at its minimal power. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 5:47 pm