E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

4 posters

From a BJJ black belt: Why jiu-jitsu is not suitable for street self-defense

idealab

From a BJJ black belt: Why jiu-jitsu is not suitable for street self-defense Empty From a BJJ black belt: Why jiu-jitsu is not suitable for street self-defense

Post by idealab Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:12 am

Written by Florent Luccioni.
    Florent Luccioni is an important member of the French Jiu-Jitsu community. He and his twin brother Jean Claude are both BJJ Black belts under Francisco Nonato and run Arte Suave Jiu-Jitsu academy in Montpellier, France. He has been training BJJ for 15 years and has spent years training in Brazil. Luccioni also teaches Jiu-Jitsu and self defense to the French Police.

There are many posts on internet forums and advertisements of BJJ academy websites, which present our martial art/sport as an effective martial art for self defense and against a street aggression, even as the “most effective martial art” .
    On the other hand, many other experts Self Defense see taking the fight to the ground as a big mistake in a street fight…
    As an experienced Jiu-Jitsu instructor, I would be expected to practise the first theory, in order, perhaps, to see my number of students increase. Or maybe, I might look at reality without defending my dogma…
    So, is Jiu-Jitsu truly an effective martial art in an urban context? Is it even the most effective, as some claim??

Read the article here:

http://www.bjjee.com/articles/bjj-black-belts-point-of-view-why-jiu-jitsu-is-not-suitable-for-street-fighting/
    DougNZ

From a BJJ black belt: Why jiu-jitsu is not suitable for street self-defense Empty Re: From a BJJ black belt: Why jiu-jitsu is not suitable for street self-defense

Post by DougNZ Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:27 am

Perhaps the greatest component of fighting that few consider is the body's response to sympathetic nervous system arousal. As a person becomes more aroused, fine motor skill becomes diminished, to the point where (at over 180 beats per minute) many people can only breathe, pump blood and vacate their bowels. So, why do self defence systems teach complicated joint locking or technical throwing or precise pressure point strikes when, in all likelihood, a person will not be able to perform those techniques under huge stress?
    Wandering WB

From a BJJ black belt: Why jiu-jitsu is not suitable for street self-defense Empty Re: From a BJJ black belt: Why jiu-jitsu is not suitable for street self-defense

Post by Wandering WB Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:54 am

Don't believe the stories you hear - judo is ultimately about Kyuzo Mifune going to a bar
    And kicking ass using all the karate he learned in his spare time away
    From the mat.

Whoops, did I say Mifune? confused  I meant to say Helio Gracie taking someone down with multiple broken bones. In his Play Boy interview it's explained in detail.

Which proves the effectiveness of the art. At long last. cheers 
    Mr_Michael_or_Mike

Post by Mr_Michael_or_Mike Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:39 pm

Here is an advertisement for the Carlson Gracie Academy. The techniques they show feature a lot of self-defense. I wish my school included this type of BJJ, especially as my Professor trained there in the 1980s. We do need a better set of mats, though.

Last edited by Mr_Michael_or_Mike on Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : addition and, correction)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Jul 28, 2024 12:00 am