E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

5 posters

Help needed for my dissertation!

eahsd

Help needed for my dissertation! Empty Help needed for my dissertation!

Post by eahsd Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:56 am

Hi there!

I am a former judoka and current sport psychology student in the final months of my masters program. For my dissertation, I'm hoping to learn more about the coaching behaviours that have and are still being used in Judo. To do this, I am interviewing both active and former judoka, and I was wondering if any of you would be willing to participate?

I am looking for people who have been, or are still members of a club accredited by the British Judo Association. The interview should take no longer than 35-40 minutes to complete and can be done either in person (if you live in London) or over Skype, whichever works best for you. The interview will be recorded and the files can only be accessed by myself and my research supervisor, so whatever is said will be kept confidential. Your name and any other names mentioned during the interview will be changed when the report is written in order to protect your anonymity and confidentiality.

As judoka yourselves, your personal experiences of being coached are extremely valuable to this piece of research. Speaking to you will help me to gain some insight into the way coaches from different clubs operate and also the ways in which these may have affected your time as a competitor.  

If you are interested in taking part, or if you'd like to ask any questions about the interview or the research itself, please feel free to message me at judo.interview@gmail.com.

Thank you for reading this, and I hope to hear from some of you soon!

Last edited by eahsd on Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Change of information)
    medo

Help needed for my dissertation! Empty Re: Help needed for my dissertation!

Post by medo Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:55 am

Why limit your study to BJA coaches, by doing so would only give one organisations thoughts on coaching Judo.
    eahsd

Post by eahsd Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:44 am

I think my main reason was the fact that I am familiar with the BJA. I did think about opening it up to other organisations but my supervisor and I agreed that keeping it to BJA coaches would be more appropriate for the time scale of this study. If I do a similar study in the future, I would definitely consider including other organisations.

Can I ask what organisation your club is accredited by?
    medo

Post by medo Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:39 am

Retired now, old club still running under my pupils, as you may be aware there's a vast difference in syllabus and teaching/coaching over just the three affiliates let alone the independants and even just talking to BJA coaches you will just get what the organisation has told then on the few days coaching seminar that has been attended, not what or how they actually teach/coach in the club.
    eahsd

Post by eahsd Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:06 am

Ah, okay. I see where you're coming from, but my research is designed specifically to explore peoples' experiences of being coached rather than the perspective of the coach. Again, that could be another avenue to explore in future research, when time and money are not as limited as they are now.
    Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:27 am

I'm thinking that if the man was a coach, he was also at one time coached.....
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:36 pm

Stacey wrote:I'm thinking that if the man was a coach, he was also at one time coached.....

Not necessarily. I am a coach, but I never had a coach. I had several teachers, but not coaches. There are reasons for this. Without entering too much into private details, it had to do with when I was a beginner and needed a coach my teacher was not interested in me, hence I was forced as a beginner to go through all contests by myself and wrestle myself through it sometimes feeling like an incompetent idiot. The first time any of my teachers ever showed up at any of my contests was when as a brown belt I made it for the second time (first time in his club though) to the finals of the nationals. I was very pleased by that, but it was too late. By that time I had done too many contests all by myself so that his attempts to coach me were discrepant with my abilities. I was just a kid, and my teacher at that time only coaching his successful wife (who was an adult) could not seem to get that a kid does not have the same abilities as an adult. Even though I was only a kid, or young adolescent and my teacher had decades of experience, nothing he said as a coach (I am not talking about him as an instructor, only as a coach) to me scientifically made any sense. Many years later I realized it actually scientifcally did not make any sense, and ultimately this also eant the doom for his wife who no doubt successful never realized her full potential. I also got severely injured during that contest. Maybe if he wasn't there I wouldn't have. I got in jûji-gatame, but I was not going to go through the humilliation of tapping out before his eyes and feel like a loser. You can imagine the rest, but I never tapped out and no matter how hard my opponent tried he could not break my arm, leaving the ref no option but to finally call matte. I fought the rest of the contents with one arm and was out for many weeks, and of course in agonizing pain. Maybe that was my stupid attempt for gaining my 'coach's' (teacher's !) respect.

Later he was present during an international content where I had to face a very famous jûdôka. He was unable to throw me, but I ended up in his equally famous jûji-gatame and tapped out way before my arm was even stretched, by that time already having had three severe injuries to my elbows already. The tournament was women's and men, and my teacher's wife won gold, I won nothing; I can't remember exactly why since my famous opponent went on to win the tournament. I think I decided to not fight the répêchages to spare my elbow, which was still recovering, (for the second time; one of the three severe injuries had been to ... my other elbow). So that was my second and really last experience with a coach. Again I had also felt like he was coaching someone else. None of his coaching was tailored to me, my abilities, strengths or weaknesses. From that point on I never had a coach again, and if ever anyone tried I told them to get lost or ignored them. The national team obviously had a coach, but we had an understanding and he remained quiet and didn't say or do a thing during a contests with me. He was more a mentor for me with regard to questions such as "how can I better recover from my injuries", "how can I prevent such injuries", "I am struggling with my weight, what do you recommend", that sort of thing.

If I am honest, I think that one of the reasons I went into coaching, and wanted to obtain every possible coaching qualification that existed and know everything about it, is because I did not wish anyone else under my guidance having to go through what I had to go through. I wanted to ensure that all of my students knew that I would be there when they needed me, and that I knew their strengths and weaknesses, and could give to the point and tailored help.

So, as you see, it is possible for someone to be a coach, yet to never have had a coach himself. How common this is, I have no clue; probably not very.

There is another reason why I had several teachers but not coaches and that probably is less uncommon. Several of my teachers were not my club's teachers. One of my teachers thought the national technical and kata training sessions twice per month which I attended for nearly 14 years. He probably technically influenced me more than my club teachers, but obviously did not accompany me to competitions, which is something I also would not expect. Besides he was an international ref too, so he had his hands more than full. Then there were other teachers who either were teacher abroad, like when I lived in Japan. I cannot imagine that I would have expected my teacher at the police academy to coach me since I obviously was not a Japanese policeman and though I competed I obviously did not compete with the police team. Besides that there are also people who became my teacher only when my competitive career was over, so the issue of coaching was mute. There must be other people on this forum to whom at least that one has happened too.

Last edited by Cichorei Kano on Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:43 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : correction of typo)
    medo

Post by medo Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:44 pm

My first instructor as a junior was similar to CK always officiating at any comp I attended even at national level. If your just looking at matside coaching thats fairly common.
    National/international squad level competion would be different thats unlikely to be the original club teacher/coach.
    eahsd

Post by eahsd Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:58 pm

Stacey wrote:I'm thinking that if the man was a coach, he was also at one time coached.....

Agreed, that's definitely the case for a lot of people. I didn't mean that I wouldn't include coaches in my research if they want to participate, it's just that my questions are designed to learn about what it was like to be coached (or not, as it seems for some) at the various levels of competition. I would amend some of the questions slightly to suit the participant, but my main focus in this is the experience of the judoka.
    eahsd

Post by eahsd Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:06 pm

I didn't realise that I wouldn't be able to send PM's straight away, so if anyone has sent me a message on here, can I ask that you email me at judo.interview@gmail.com instead?
    Richard Riehle

Post by Richard Riehle Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:15 am

eahsd wrote:Hi there!

I am a former judoka and current sport psychology student in the final months of my masters program. For my dissertation, I'm hoping to learn more about the coaching behaviours that have and are still being used in Judo. To do this, I am interviewing both active and former judoka, and I was wondering if any of you would be willing to participate?

I am looking for people who have been, or are still members of a club accredited by the British Judo Association. The interview should take no longer than 35-40 minutes to complete and can be done either in person (if you live in London) or over Skype, whichever works best for you. The interview will be recorded and the files can only be accessed by myself and my research supervisor, so whatever is said will be kept confidential. Your name and any other names mentioned during the interview will be changed when the report is written in order to protect your anonymity and confidentiality.

As judoka yourselves, your personal experiences of being coached are extremely valuable to this piece of research. Speaking to you will help me to gain some insight into the way coaches from different clubs operate and also the ways in which these may have affected your time as a competitor.  

If you are interested in taking part, or if you'd like to ask any questions about the interview or the research itself, please feel free to message me at judo.interview@gmail.com.

Thank you for reading this, and I hope to hear from some of you soon!

You need to get a copy of the relatively recent book by Hayward Nishioka on Judo coaching.  It is the most thorough treatment of this topic to be published for contemporary Judo.
    eahsd

Post by eahsd Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:12 am

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll definitely look out for it!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:06 am