E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+11
Reinberger
Jonesy
wdax
finarashi
NBK
Udon
Jihef
Ryvai
Taijutsuka
sims10000
Anatol
15 posters

Kodokan news

noboru
    noboru

Kodokan news - Page 2 Empty Jigoro Kano's Birthday Events info links

Post by noboru Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:15 pm

【Birthday Event】Uki-goshi Training Day
    http://kodokanjudoinstitute.org/en/news/2015/10/birthday-eventuki-goshi-training-day/

【Birthday Event】Kano Shihan's Real Voice and Last Passport

http://kodokanjudoinstitute.org/en/news/2015/10/birthday-eventkano-shihans-real-voice-and-last-passport/

【Birthday Event】"Trying Calligraphy" was held
    http://kodokanjudoinstitute.org/en/news/2015/11/birthday-eventtrying-calligraphy-was-held/

【Birthday Event】Parent-and-child Judo Lesson was held
    http://kodokanjudoinstitute.org/en/news/2015/11/birthday-eventparent-and-child-judo-lesson-was-held/
    noboru
    noboru

Kodokan news - Page 2 Empty 2016 Kodokan Kagami-Biraki Ceremony was held

Post by noboru Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:07 pm

2016 Kodokan Kagami-Biraki Ceremony was held
    http://kodokanjudoinstitute.org/en/news/2016/01/2016-kodokan-kagami-biraki-ceremony-was-held/

2016 Kodokan Kagami-Biraki Ceremony was held
    19 Jan 2016
    Kodokan Kagami Biraki (opening round rice cakes) Ceremony was held on Sunday, January 10.

Kagami Biraki Ceremony is a traditional event that has been held more than 130 years from the early days of the Kodokan.
    A speech was made by a representative of Kodokan members and was followed by the greeting from President Uemura. Then seven kinds of Kata were performed. After that, national team players held Randori sessions with trainees who usually practice in Boys and Girls class, Women's class or Adult's class.

Judo Dance was performed by the members of Women's class members.

Dan diplomas were awarded to promoted members. At the end of the Kagami Biraki Ceremony, Shiruko (red bean soup with rice cake) was served to guests, and the ceremony successfully ended.
    noboru
    noboru

Kodokan news - Page 2 Empty plates text for free

Post by noboru Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:20 am

NBK wrote:I translated 30 of Kanô shihan's sayings into English for the panels to be displayed in the 'Exhibition of Panels and Banners'.  A very rushed job but interesting - I'm going to ask permission to post someplace, there are some that most Westerners have never heard.  All sourced with references.  
    Hi NBK, does the Kodokan allowed this?
    NBK
    NBK

Kodokan news - Page 2 Empty Re: Kodokan news

Post by NBK Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:33 pm

noboru wrote:
    NBK wrote:I translated 30 of Kanô shihan's sayings into English for the panels to be displayed in the 'Exhibition of Panels and Banners'.  A very rushed job but interesting - I'm going to ask permission to post someplace, there are some that most Westerners have never heard.  All sourced with references.  
    Hi NBK, does the Kodokan allowed this?
    Forgot to ask the right people. The bureaucracy there is surprising to folks that don't understand Things Japanese.

Will ask. It would be great if they'd put them on their website, as I thought they were well chosen and interesting in both Japanese and English.
    noboru
    noboru

Kodokan news - Page 2 Empty japanese info about rules changing for Kodokan dan grading

Post by noboru Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:25 pm

japanese info about rules changing for Kodokan dan grading
    http://kodokanjudoinstitute.org/activity/grade/

part from text about Kata requirements (my attempt of translation)

初段 投の形のうち手技・腰技・足技
    二段 投の形
    三段 固の形
    四段 柔の形
    五段 極の形
    六段 講道館護身術
    七段 五の形
    八段 古式の形

1th dan - nage-no-kata, ashiwaza, goshiwaza
    2th dan - nage-no-kata
    3th dan - katame-no-kata
    4th dan - jū-no-kata
    5th dan - kime-no-kata
    6th dan - kōdōkan goshin-jutsu
    7th dan - itsutsu-no-kata
    8th dan - koshiki-no-kata
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:10 pm

noboru wrote:japanese info about rules changing for Kodokan dan grading

初段 投の形のうち手技・腰技・足技
    二段 投の形
    三段 固の形
    四段 柔の形
    五段 極の形
    六段 講道館護身術
    七段 五の形
    八段 古式の形

2th dan - nage-no-kata
    3th dan - katame-no-kata
    4th dan - jū-no-kata
    5th dan - kime-no-kata
    Yes. I just attended a coaching clinic in Tokyo on Ju no Kata.

The notion is that everyone should learn some, at least, of Ju no Kata early, so it was moved much earlier to encourage coaches etc to learn earlier (the dream of the All Japan Judo Federation is to have a 6 dan at ever dojo). Previously 3 and 4 dan had a basic presentation of Katame no Kata, but Ju was moved to replace that for 4 dan.

The worst part is that I'm set for Kime and Goshinjutsu but now have to learn Ju! And there are many higher ranks that have never done Ju, it's funny to watch some of the (mostly) gents wrestle with the movements.

NBK
    noboru
    noboru

Kodokan news - Page 2 Empty the reasons for prefering Jú-no-kata before Shobu no kata in learning

Post by noboru Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:47 pm

NBK wrote:

The notion is that everyone should learn some, at least, of Ju no Kata early,
    NBK

If I good understanding the grading system - it is the kind of guideline what should I study/learn now for own skill development - steps for sequential development.

Do you know what is the reason? What they prefere Jú-no-kata practice/knowledges before Shobu no kata (Kime-no-kata, Kódókan Goshin jutsu) in the learning?

In some material and texts I found that  Jú-no-kata has own big value for body control/development (taisó) a for understanding of jú principle (ri). (I dont have the knowledges about Jú-no-kata). Kanó Jigoró recommended it to practice for women, practicing in schools (as school sport/body exercises) and noted that for practice Jú-no-kata you have not need tatami and judógi - you can practice it anywhere. Body adopting and development of  understanding jú before any selfdefence exeriences? It could be this reason?

Thank you for your comments.
    wdax

Post by wdax Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:15 pm

noboru wrote:In some material and texts I found that  Jú-no-kata has own big value for body control/development (taisó) a for understanding of jú principle (ri). (I dont have the knowledges about Jú-no-kata). Kanó Jigoró recommended it to practice for women, practicing in schools (as school sport/body exercises) and noted that for practice Jú-no-kata you have not need tatami and judógi - you can practice it anywhere. Body adopting and development of  understanding jú before any selfdefence exeriences? It could be this reason?

In the 1920s Kano wrote, that Ju-no-kata should be the first kata to be studied - even before Nage- and Katame-no-kata. Additionally to what you mentioned is the absence of ukemi in Ju-no-Kata and that it is practiced in moderate speed. Ju-no-Kata is very much underestimated among many (so-called) judo-experts.
    finarashi
    finarashi

Post by finarashi Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:57 pm

wdax wrote:

In the 1920s Kano wrote, that Ju-no-kata should be the first kata to be studied - even before Nage- and Katame-no-kata. Additionally to what you mentioned is the absence of ukemi in Ju-no-Kata and that it is practiced in moderate speed. Ju-no-Kata is very much underestimated among many (so-called) judo-experts.

Ju-no-kata is a wicked kata. Just study it and learn what uke tries to do and how tori negates the attack. I think we are overestimating the value of something like Kime-no-kata for development of Judo related skills.
    wdax

Post by wdax Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:25 pm

The most important lessons are IMHO about tai-sabaki, balance, body-symmetry and body-stability while moving, alongside with distance and timing. Usually it is visible from the very first technique, if somebody understood, what the kata is about. Kata is an exercise to develop these skill, which are so basic - and often not really taught - in judo.
    noboru
    noboru

Post by noboru Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:18 pm

wdax wrote:
    In the 1920s Kano wrote, that Ju-no-kata should be the first kata to be studied - even before Nage- and Katame-no-kata.

The most important lessons are IMHO about tai-sabaki, balance, body-symmetry and body-stability while moving, alongside with distance and timing. Usually it is visible from the very first technique, if somebody understood, what the kata is about. Kata is an exercise to develop these skill, which are so basic - and often not really taught - in judo.

Thank you for explanation. It gives me the sense, why Kodokan want to learn this kata to instructors early.
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:08 pm

I can understand the placing of all the kata in the Kodokan Dan rank promotion system from an intellectual and pedagogical perspective. I do struggle a little with the placing of Koshiki-no-kata from a practical/physical veiwpoint. For almost everyone in Japan 8th dan is a "terminal rank" and most are much much older than 42 when they are considered for the rank. The falls and sutemi waza in Koshiki-no-kata are very demanding on the body and perhaps not that appropriate for elderly judoka.
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:03 pm

wdax wrote:
    noboru wrote:In some material and texts I found that  Jú-no-kata has own big value for body control/development (taisó) a for understanding of jú principle (ri). (I dont have the knowledges about Jú-no-kata). Kanó Jigoró recommended it to practice for women, practicing in schools (as school sport/body exercises) and noted that for practice Jú-no-kata you have not need tatami and judógi - you can practice it anywhere. Body adopting and development of  understanding jú before any selfdefence exeriences? It could be this reason?

Regarding WDax' comment above, the biggest surprise to me when I started buying preWWII old judo books, including lots of books intended for the use of childrens' instructors, is that often the first several chapters were devoted to:
    1. Reigi (courtesies)
    2. Taisabaki (body movement)
    3. Jû no Kata - and always illustrated by cartoons of a couple of middle-aged men, balding, with moustaches and everything (Billc and I would fit right in)
    then, and only then, would the books begin with simple throws.

Now after buying 40 or more, I am only surprised if they start with anything but Jû no Kata (unless much later, when the militarists take over).

Jonesy wrote:I can understand the placing of all the kata in the Kodokan Dan rank promotion system from an intellectual and pedagogical perspective. I do struggle a little with the placing of Koshiki-no-kata from a practical/physical veiwpoint. For almost everyone in Japan 8th dan is a "terminal rank" and most are much much older than 42 when they are considered for the rank. The falls and sutemi waza in Koshiki-no-kata are very demanding on the body and perhaps not that appropriate for elderly judoka.
    I think this one of the major errors in Kodokan rank progression. It almost ensures that the vast majority will never get close to performing the demanding throws and falls well. Perhaps it could be broken up into sections, learned in small bites, but learning it all at the end of your judo career does not make sense to me. It's like learning Swan Lake at the very end of a ballet career - probably too late for most normal folks.
    Reinberger
    Reinberger

Post by Reinberger Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:14 am

noboru wrote:
    wdax wrote:
    In the 1920s Kano wrote, that Ju-no-kata should be the first kata to be studied - even before Nage- and Katame-no-kata.

Thank you for explanation. It gives me the sense, why Kodokan want to learn this kata to instructors early.
    Even from an outsider's view it makes perfect sense, to first learn the principles of  bodily operations and movements aspired in a certain art, in order to avoid, from the very beginning, to develop "bad" or "wrong" habits or executions when trying to learn the actual techniques - and that doesn't apply to prescribed kata alone.

And aren't the techniques and forms themselves in any case regarded as mere vehicles for learning, isn't the internalisation and application of those principles also meant to finally become completely free of specific techniques and forms again (see 守破離 - Shu-Ha-Ri)?
    noboru
    noboru

Kodokan news - Page 2 Empty foto from year 1915 - practicing ju-no-kata in high school in Tokio

Post by noboru Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:16 pm

In wdax book (page 58) is photo from year 1915. There is practicing ju-no-kata in high school in Tokio

https://i.servimg.com/u/f86/19/01/83/43/junoka10.jpg
    Kodokan news - Page 2 Junoka10
    Source:
    Grundwissen der Geschichte des Kōdōkan-Jūdō in Japan von Wolfgang Dax-Romswinkel
    http://www.nwjv.de/fileadmin/qualifizierung/dokumente/kodokan_judo.pdf
    noboru
    noboru

Kodokan news - Page 2 Empty Facebook page of Kodokan Intitute

Post by noboru Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:53 am

facebook page of Kodokan Intitute /info from Kodokan webpage 29.4.2016

講道館公式Facebookページを開設しました。

アカウントをお持ちの方は是非フォローをよろしくお願い致します。

https://www.facebook.com/kodokanjudoinstitute/
    cokiee

Post by cokiee Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:36 am

Which one of you translated the introduction (:
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:36 am

What translation?
    Y-Chromosome
    Y-Chromosome

Post by Y-Chromosome Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:38 am

初段 投の形のうち手技・腰技・足技
    二段 投の形
    三段 固の形
    四段 柔の形
    五段 極の形
    六段 講道館護身術
    七段 五の形
    八段 古式の形

2th dan - nage-no-kata
    3th dan - katame-no-kata
    4th dan - jū-no-kata
    5th dan - kime-no-kata

I think the fist line should be : 1st dan - nage-no-kata, techniques from te waza, ashiwaza, goshiwaza
    Would be surprising if they dropped a whole set, and I think "手技" translates as te waza.
    noboru
    noboru

Post by noboru Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:22 pm

cokiee wrote:Which one of you translated the introduction (:

It is mine, I dont speak and read japanese. I used Google Translator - japanese -> english. Thank you for your corrections.
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Sun May 01, 2016 12:09 am

Y-Chromosome wrote:

初段 投の形のうち手技・腰技・足技
    二段 投の形
    三段 固の形
    四段 柔の形
    五段 極の形
    六段 講道館護身術
    七段 五の形
    八段 古式の形

2th dan - nage-no-kata
    3th dan - katame-no-kata
    4th dan - jū-no-kata
    5th dan - kime-no-kata

I think the fist line should be : 1st dan - nage-no-kata, techniques from te waza, ashiwaza, goshiwaza
    Would be surprising if they dropped a whole set, and I think "手技" translates as te waza.
    That's correct. For shodan it is the first three sets of Nage-no-kata. Te-waza, Koshi-waza, Ashi-waza and it is written in that order.
    cokiee

Post by cokiee Mon May 02, 2016 4:14 am

NBK wrote:What translation?

Sorry, I did mean indeed the introduction on the Kodokan facebook page, with the 'life event' being the establishment. There exists a chunk of text in Japanese script, and then in english.

noboru wrote:
    cokiee wrote:Which one of you translated the introduction (:

It is mine, I dont speak and read japanese. I used Google Translator - japanese -> english. Thank you for your corrections.

No, please don't get me wrong! I am sorry it came out the wrong way - I was referring to the Kodokan Facebook page (see above) and meant it in a 'that's wonderful' way Smile
    Y-Chromosome
    Y-Chromosome

Post by Y-Chromosome Tue May 03, 2016 3:56 am

So has the requirement for female candidates to learn ju no kata for shodan been dropped?
    This would have some repercussions in Canada, as we've been obligated to teach ju no kata to any woman who wanted her Kodokan certificate along with her Judo Canada Certificate. (Not the men... )
    I think there will be a general sigh of relief if that's the case.
    (Although for some odd reason this policy never seemed to cause as much resentment as the "reviled" joshi-obi.)
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Tue May 03, 2016 5:37 pm

I'm just trying to imagine NBK, in all his impressive self, hoisted between my shoulders as I bend more than 90 degrees forward with legs straight, the lower half of my body connected to the upper half only by the gristle the surgeon left in my lumbar spine. Thank goodness Koyama-sensei is my friend but I am not encouraged that his practice may be moved far from the Kodokan by the time July rolls around.
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Tue May 03, 2016 5:40 pm

Y-Chromosome wrote:So has the requirement for female candidates to learn ju no kata for shodan been dropped?
    This would have some repercussions in Canada, as we've been obligated to teach ju no kata to any woman who wanted her Kodokan certificate along with her Judo Canada Certificate. (Not the men... )
    I think there will be a general sigh of relief if that's the case.
    (Although for some odd reason this policy never seemed to cause as much resentment as the "reviled" joshi-obi.)
    Ju-no-kata for Joshi 4 Dan. By who was the joshi obi reviled exactly?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:12 pm