E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

5 posters

Mizuno gi question

Raj Venugopal

Mizuno gi question Empty Mizuno gi question

Post by Raj Venugopal Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:29 am

I am in need of a new gi and was thinking about Mizuno. I went to the Hatashita site and see there are several on offer. I don't really know the REAL differences between the models, so I was wondering if someone could explain the differences between the Yusho models (gold, silver, elite) and shiai model. Thanks!
    Stacey
    Stacey

Mizuno gi question Empty Re: Mizuno gi question

Post by Stacey Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:52 pm

I'd ask Vin. But then, I'd also buy from Vin. He's at Kodokan Gear (.com, I think), and he knows his product. He'll tell you the differences, and help you find the right fit for what you want.
    Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:55 pm

Not knocking Hatashita - it's just when I've had gi questions, Vin's been around, and he's never let me down. He's also a member here. Don't know about a rep from Hatashita. Vin, you can call direct, or email, or PM here. Hatashita? I don't know the size of their biz, or how to find somebody you can have confidence in, other than Lisa, and I don't know how to get her directly.
    Raj Venugopal

Post by Raj Venugopal Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:37 am

Thanks for the advice Stacey. I will check out the site. My hesitation going stateside (I'm in Canada) is on shipping cost and our dollar which is at recent lows compared to the greenback. I've seen vin post free shipping offers but only for the states I believe.
    Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:08 am

would be worth giving him a call and seeing what he can do for you.

Mizuno, just like every other gi mfg has been having to change things up constantly because of the new IJF rules
    Raj Venugopal

Post by Raj Venugopal Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:09 am

will check out the site for certain. There is also value in good advice which can avoid buying a gi that isn't right and all the hassle therein.
    Neil G
    Neil G

Post by Neil G Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:40 am

Bought a judogi from Vin a couple months ago, shipping was $US44 to Canada. Vin's prices are a little cheaper than Hatashita, even accounting for exchange but the shipping will tip it back to Hatashita. Vin sent it USPS, I didn't get dinged any duty.

The names on Vin's site are different than Hatashita - different for US/Canadian markets maybe? Vin has the Yusho Japan and Comp, the difference being the Comp is made in Pakistan. Hatashita has Elite, Gold and Silver. I got the Yusho Japan and I'm happy with it.
    Raj Venugopal

Post by Raj Venugopal Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:09 am

Is the jacket length (skirt) longer on that model than the shiai model?
    Vin
    Vin

Post by Vin Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:37 am

Thanks Stacey and others that recommended me. And Raj, I have already replied to your email; but here are some general information in regard to the Mizuno Yusho Comp, Yusho Japan and the Mizuno Shiai.

Overseas customers can request a discounted shipping during December. Place your order as usual and select Priority mail or Priority Express. I will remove $15.00 off your shipping before processing your credit card. Alternatively overseas customers can email me for a quote or order. I can invoice directly with PayPal Invoice, customer can pay to PayPal invoice even if they don't have a PayPal account.

The Mizuno Shiai is a preshrunk gi 100% cotton. It does not shrink anymore than a couple of cm if any at all on the sleeves after numerous wash and dry cycle even in hot water. The pants however will shrink up to 10 cm if wash in hot water and dry in the dryer. You can order split size with the Shiai a different size pants to the Jacket. The Shiai is a medium to heavy weight uniform, is approximately 800 g. medium in stiffness. It has a European fit and a shorter Jacket. It is not an IJF uniform so it is not allowed in IJF sanctioned judo tournament. It is an excellent all around gi. I myself have 3 of them.

The Yusho Comp is an IJF approved gi. The over all jacket is slightly larger than the Shiai. The Jacket is about 5 cm longer than the Shiai. The cut is traditional cut, wider sleeves and stiffer material. The Yusho Comp is 80% cotton and 20% polyester. The fabric density is approximately 950 g. One of the heaviest and stiffer gi allowed by IJF. The Yusho Comp is not a preshrunk gi and will have average shrinkage. Split size is not available with the Yusho Comp.

There is also an IJF Yusho Japan, which is closer in weight and density to the Shiai; but softer than the Shiai. It has the same cut as the Yusho Comp. Generally order a half size smaller than the Yusho Comp. Yusho Japan is not a preshrunk gi. Split size is not available with the Yusho Japan.
    Raj Venugopal

Post by Raj Venugopal Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:56 am

Neil G wrote:Bought a judogi from Vin a couple months ago, shipping was $US44 to Canada.  Vin's prices are a little cheaper than Hatashita, even accounting for exchange but the shipping will tip it back to Hatashita.  Vin sent it USPS, I didn't get dinged any duty.

The names on Vin's site are different than Hatashita - different for US/Canadian markets maybe? Vin has the Yusho Japan and Comp, the difference being the Comp is made in Pakistan.  Hatashita has Elite, Gold and Silver.  I got the Yusho Japan and I'm happy with it.

Neil, since then I bet the dollar has slid pretty hard. Buying anything out of the US now is tough.... even investing comes with a 15% surcharge.
    RaawahTiiger

Post by RaawahTiiger Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:24 pm

Hey there mate, three years ago my family surprisingly cashed out on the Mizuno Yawara for me for my 18th birthday present.

This gi they used quite BS marketing claiming a "3D look and feel" which was created to hold the shape of the judoka and in turn be better somehow. Nevertheless I found and still do find that the Mizuno gi's are created for a stocky build, me not being that saw that the sleeves were shorter than wanted, the pants were much wider, and overall just puffy. (It was the recommended fit from various places too btw.)

The gi seemed much more lightweight than I would have expected and has started to somehow tear around the collar from a lot less use than I would be happy to say.

Overall imo check the cut length of the gi and take notice that if it is 'double weaved' and is 'lightweight' you must be missing out on one or the other. Hope it helped maybe even a little! jocolor

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:12 pm