E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

4 posters

Newaza injuries/Tachi-Waza Injuries

NittyRanks
    NittyRanks

Newaza injuries/Tachi-Waza Injuries Empty Newaza injuries/Tachi-Waza Injuries

Post by NittyRanks Thu May 07, 2015 6:10 am

I recently have a rash of injuries. Bad elbow tweaked neck, and some other sprains.  To give you some background one of the adult classes I take (I’m 47) has a BJJ class that precedes it. The instructor that teaches it said it might be a good idea to come to that class to roll and learn some new techniques. I usually use my Judo ground game there or work on techniques we may have learned in that session.  I don’t know why but every injury I have right now is from Newaza type activities not any Tachi-Waza techniques.  I try to relax while rolling because some younger guys like to go a little hard. One instructor I have rolls with his eyes closed.  I would think Randori standing would be harder and more injury prone but it isn’t for me.  It’s a part of Judo I am not very fond of lately but I realize it’s importance in the overall scheme of things. Has this happened to any of you? Interestingly enough the BJJ guys never stay around for the Judo part of class.  Thanks in advance.
    DougNZ

Newaza injuries/Tachi-Waza Injuries Empty Re: Newaza injuries/Tachi-Waza Injuries

Post by DougNZ Thu May 07, 2015 6:50 am

Knees, shoulders and ribs are the most common tachiwaza injuries in our class, with fingers/hand and neck in newaza. Bear in mind that this is anecdotal evidence from over a period of years, not a single class!

The butt-scuttling game that is modern BJJ is so far removed from the jiu jitsu practiced by the Gracies in the 60s and 70s. The elders in the game are trying to swing the philosophy of BJJ back to that of its roots, emphasising the importance of self defence to give a more balanced approach to BJJ. Whether this is a genuine concern or a new marketing angle, I have yet to work out. Either way, your BJJers could really, really do with sticking around for a bit of judo.
    NittyRanks
    NittyRanks

Newaza injuries/Tachi-Waza Injuries Empty Re: Newaza injuries/Tachi-Waza Injuries

Post by NittyRanks Sat May 09, 2015 12:22 am

I wish they would. Personally I like Judo better because I have always done it, but people are along for the ride because BJJ is growing now unlike other martial arts, or so I am told?
    Anatol

Post by Anatol Sat May 09, 2015 9:49 pm

You are not too old - the BJJ guys are too old to learn some good tachi waza! ;-)

JudoStu
    JudoStu

Post by JudoStu Thu May 14, 2015 8:03 pm

NittyRanks wrote:I recently have a rash of injuries. Bad elbow tweaked neck, and some other sprains.  To give you some background one of the adult classes I take (I’m 47) has a BJJ class that precedes it. The instructor that teaches it said it might be a good idea to come to that class to roll and learn some new techniques. I usually use my Judo ground game there or work on techniques we may have learned in that session.  I don’t know why but every injury I have right now is from Newaza type activities not any Tachi-Waza techniques.  I try to relax while rolling because some younger guys like to go a little hard. One instructor I have rolls with his eyes closed.  I would think Randori standing would be harder and more injury prone but it isn’t for me.  It’s a part of Judo I am not very fond of lately but I realize it’s importance in the overall scheme of things. Has this happened to any of you? Interestingly enough the BJJ guys never stay around for the Judo part of class.  Thanks in advance.

I've recently been having some very similar experiences to you. I'm 42 and have various little niggling injuries but most seem to come from doing Newaza. I got my elbow popped a few weeks back doing BJJ, I strained some ligiments in my wrist from doing a Judo newaza class and last night I somehow managed to bend my big toe in a weird direction which has resulted in a swollen and sore toe and foot today.

It's odd because I've been reducing the amount of tachiwaza lately because I have these few injuries and yet I keep getting new ones from doing Newaza.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 2:47 pm