E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

2 posters

Favorite Gi, (its not a Japanese made one)

KShaft

Favorite Gi, (its not a Japanese made one) Empty Favorite Gi, (its not a Japanese made one)

Post by KShaft Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:01 am

So Ive owned three Japanese made gis, a judo star gi, a Mizuno Shiai (its made in China), a Fuji DW, and a cheap korean gi.
    My favorite gi is the Shiai. Its the softest and best fitting. The Japanese gis were good and probably made a HAIR better but I honestly don't think they are worth the extra coin. They arent as soft and the range of motion is slightly more limited. The Golden Tiger gi (when they were made in Japan) was as soft and that one was probably my favorite over the Shiai, but it was like an old style gi with the skirt down to your knees and sleeves barley getting to the wrist. I gave it to my Sensei as payment for classes.
    Has anyone else had this experience preferring the less expensive gis to the Japanese made ones? Its contrary to what most say on this site. I just find it curious.
    wdax

Favorite Gi, (its not a Japanese made one) Empty Re: Favorite Gi, (its not a Japanese made one)

Post by wdax Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:36 pm

Last year I was testdriving a one year old (US) Dodge Charger SRT with almost 500hp. Great sound, great acceleration, horrible handling. Beyond 65 or 70 mph it simply frightens me. I was completely shocked about the "performance". Those (americans) who never experienced driving a performance car (or even a family car) on a german freeway with 120 mph or more will not understand the difference and should be very happy with the SRT.

Back judogi. As long as you did not experience a real japanes top-judogi - not a japanese brand made in China, Pakistan, Vietnam ect. - you are nor aware of the difference. I´m far from being an average judoka, but at the moment I own - and use for different purpose - four KuSakura (2 blue label, 2 red label) and an older japanese Mizuno Yusho. For randori I also used my older Essimo (almost same as Adidas) or other brands (including chinese Mizuno). Last year my suitcase got lost on the trip to japan. So I got a top-Mizuno Gi from the Kodokan until my own gis arrived. This Gi was at the level of my (blue-labeled) KuKsakura.

There is definitely a difference between the top-gis and the cheaper gis. But again: it depends what you want and what you expect from a gi.
    KShaft

Favorite Gi, (its not a Japanese made one) Empty Re: Favorite Gi, (its not a Japanese made one)

Post by KShaft Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:06 pm

Hi WDAX. Thanks for the reply.

The gis in question were, a Fujitaka 510 in white. This one had the IJF approved sticker on the plastic, so it must have been before the blue label gis when (I think) it was easier to get it approved. This is a Japanese made gi and a top of the line one at the time. The Mizuno was a Senpai, which is a slightly thinned down Supreme (according to the product literature) and made in Japan as well. There was also the Golden Tiger company who had a Japanese manufacturer make a gi for them and this one looked like an old school gi and was my very favorite except it being too big for me.

I just went and put the Shiai and the Senpai on and I still feel the Shiai is better feeling and definately has a better range of motion. No its not as refined in manufacture, but the Shiai feels better and I can move better in it. I feel the J510 is better than the Senpai but its designed to be a heavy competition gi. This would lead me to get another, Mitsuboshi gi or a KuSakura if I went with a Japanese made gi.

This is why I ask because you seem to be of the mind that its self evident the Japanese made gis are better, and it should be the case. Its just not turning out that way for me. Maybe construction wise, but not ergonomically.

And I lived in Germany for a while, so I understand the analogy.

wdax

Post by wdax Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:16 am

KShaft wrote:(...) because you seem to be of the mind that its self evident the Japanese made gis are better, and it should be the case.

No, no - that´s not what I think. I was only talking about my experience with four different Judogi: older Mizuno Yusho, new Mizuno Yusho, KuSakura blue and red label. All of them are the top of the line of the brand. These gis are - for me - better than all other gis I had before (and these were of a lot of different brands.

I have no experience with Mitsuboshi or other japanese mage gis - so I cannot comment on them.
    KShaft

Post by KShaft Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:52 am

Well I apologize. Maybe I was projecting.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 2:22 pm