E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

3 posters

Brand New to practicing judo....

Johnny new york

Brand New to practicing judo.... Empty Brand New to practicing judo....

Post by Johnny new york Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:05 am

Hey all, first off thank you for taking the time to read this post. I’m new to judo and I’m already hooked . I’ve only done 3 classes far. I can only practice judo twice a week due to my work schedule . Is/are there any things I could do on my own? On days that I can’t make the classes?. Practice anything at home maybe ? I workout at the gym 6 days a week so I’m fairly fit. Thanks again for any advice Smile hope everyone has a great summer !
    NBK
    NBK

Brand New to practicing judo.... Empty Re: Brand New to practicing judo....

Post by NBK Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:50 pm

Hi. Glad to hear you're enthused.

These ideas seem as good as any, may start the conversation.

http://beyondgrappling.com/solo-judo-drills-improve-judo/

I'd add band exercises / turn ins. Here's Neil Adams' version.
    http://effectivejudo.com/uchikomi-bands/
    Johnny new york

Post by Johnny new york Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:16 pm

Thanks for the fast reply! ..ok sounds good , I’m gonna look into the band exercise...I’m excited about starting this journey:)
    Y-Chromosome
    Y-Chromosome

Post by Y-Chromosome Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:55 am

Honestly,
    As someone who's just gone through the (often painful) process of grading another batch of beginners, please do your reading.

Your club or association has probably published some sort of grading syllabus for coloured belts.  Get a hold of it and commit the white-to-yellow belt material to memory.  There should a short list of throws.  Learn the Japanese names and look up pictures or videos so you know which is which.

ie. ippon seoi nage = the one where your arm goes under uke's arm.

Be able to look at the list and have a picture in your head of which is which.

Compared to the difficulty of actually teaching your body to DO the techniques, just learning the names is trivial.  If you learn the names on your own, then your time in class will be more productive.  You'll be able to focus more on how to do the techniques because your mind will be freed from learning a lot of unfamiliar Japanese terms.  When an instructor announces we're going to learn X or Y, you'll already have an idea of where the class is going to go.

A word of warning.  You may run into minor inconsistencies between what you see online and what you learn in class.  Until you become MUCH more knowledgeable there is no point in trying to second guess your instructors.

When you've memorized the names of the throws, move on to the holds and any terminology or other material they want you to know.

Time in class should be focussed on technique, so give yourself and your instructors a break and work on the names and terminology at home.
    Johnny new york

Post by Johnny new york Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:35 am

Ah ok , yea that’s another thing I need to work on is the names of all the techniques. When I hear a certain move I have no clue what he (sensei/coach) is talking about... I’m taking it all in . Leaving my ego and pride at the front door and just looking to grow and learn. Thanks for the advice Smile means a lot to me

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 5:24 pm