E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+5
Cucumbez
finarashi
Steve Leadbeater
classicschmosby
Whatiskuzushi
9 posters

Is Kubi nage illegal

Whatiskuzushi

Is Kubi nage illegal Empty Is Kubi nage illegal

Post by Whatiskuzushi Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:26 am

I really love the throw but my sempai told me it was possibly illegal, can’t confirm anywhere, if anyone knows please let me know please let me know
    classicschmosby

Is Kubi nage illegal Empty Re: Is Kubi nage illegal

Post by classicschmosby Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:42 pm

Kubi nage is not an official technique of the kodokan or the IJF. It is legal to perform koshi guruma with your arm wrapped around your opponents neck in IJF competitions, the only possible way to get disqualified like this is if the referee thinks you are applying a neck lock(never heard of this scenario happening). The rules may be different depending on what country you fight in.
    Whatiskuzushi

Post by Whatiskuzushi Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:08 pm

So the fact that when I do my Koshi Guruma, my legs are doing a sort of Tai Otoshi thing, will most likely not be a problem, in he US
    classicschmosby

Post by classicschmosby Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:45 pm

Not as far as I'm aware(I'm in the UK though) but check with local referees as there may be different interpretation or sometimes restrictions for certain ages/grades.
    Steve Leadbeater
    Steve Leadbeater

Post by Steve Leadbeater Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:33 pm

Nothing to do with the leg position.......Kubi Nage is a neck crank throw...........Koshi Guruma is better peformed by placing your hand on the top of the opposite shoulder area as you throw your opponent, that way, you cannot be accused of wrapping your arm around their neck and dragging them up off the ground prior to the throw.
    finarashi
    finarashi

Post by finarashi Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:31 am

Kubi-nage means the throw is done so that you have control of head and use it to throw. Strictly this means that it is a no no. Similarly you can not hold someone by just squeezing the head. But as stated the difference is not often easy to see.
    Also in some countries throws where you hold to opponents head are not allowed in junior competitions (~categories where you can not arm lock nor strangle) due to the fact that kids head muscles are still developing. i.e. similar reason than not allowing shime-waza.
    Cucumbez

Post by Cucumbez Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:30 pm

Hi, as far as I know Kubi Nage is not banned here in Spain.
    Emanuele2

Post by Emanuele2 Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:42 am

Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:53 pm

Steve Leadbeater wrote:Nothing to do with the leg position.......Kubi Nage is a neck crank throw...........Koshi Guruma is better peformed by placing your hand on the top of the opposite shoulder area as you throw your opponent, that way, you cannot be accused of wrapping your arm around their neck and dragging them up off the ground prior to the throw.
    Kubi-nage is not a neck crank throw in judo.  It is essentially a koshi-guruma with split legs.  It is in Kawaishi's book.  There is a sumo technique, also called kubi-nage, which is a crank - hence the confusion and misunderstanding.
    petrip

Post by petrip Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:30 pm

Jonesy wrote:
    Steve Leadbeater wrote:Nothing to do with the leg position.......Kubi Nage is a neck crank throw...........Koshi Guruma is better peformed by placing your hand on the top of the opposite shoulder area as you throw your opponent, that way, you cannot be accused of wrapping your arm around their neck and dragging them up off the ground prior to the throw.
    Kubi-nage is not a neck crank throw in judo.  It is essentially a koshi-guruma with split legs.  It is in Kawaishi's book.  There is a sumo technique, also called kubi-nage, which is a crank - hence the confusion and misunderstanding.
    There is no kubi-nage in Kodokan-Judo. Kawaishi has his own set of techniques and those do not match the IJF or KODOKAN.

Judo tech names are based on principles of throws so if there would be a kubi-nage then neck should essential to throw. I can think of anything else than trying to pull head of kinda technique
    Fritz
    Fritz

Post by Fritz Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:42 pm

petrip wrote:
    Jonesy wrote:Kubi-nage is not a neck crank throw in judo.  It is essentially a koshi-guruma with split legs.  It is in Kawaishi's book.  There is a sumo technique, also called kubi-nage, which is a crank - hence the confusion and misunderstanding.
    There is no kubi-nage in Kodokan-Judo. Kawaishi has his own set of techniques and those do not match the IJF or KODOKAN.

Judo tech names are based on principles of throws so if there would be a kubi-nage then neck should essential to throw. I can think of anything else than trying to pull head of kinda technique
    Kubi-Nage is a variant of Koshi-Guruma, so the Kodokan name is Koshi-Guruma ;-)
    By the way: Kawashi also used the name Koshi-Guruma, but his Koshi-Guruma was more a mixture between Uki-Goshi and bad Tai-Otoshi ;-)
    Was very popular in our competitions during my childhood, because in former East Germany, the Kawaishi style of techniques resp. their namings were
    very popular and the Kawaishi-Koshi-Guruma is relatively easy to perform by children

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:33 pm