E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

2 posters

Multi-Association Clubs

LeighJudo
    LeighJudo

Multi-Association Clubs Empty Multi-Association Clubs

Post by LeighJudo Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:43 pm

Do you think there are benefits for doing this?

Obviously it opens clubs/players up to a broader spectrum of events and other clubs, but what are the other benefits?

In respect of individuals, its up to individual members (or parents) which membership they choose, but do these associations discriminate if say an AJA member from a AJA/BJA club wanted to enter a BJA competition, or vice versa or whatever combination you would care to think of?

techman

Multi-Association Clubs Empty Re: Multi-Association Clubs

Post by techman Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:08 pm

Hi Leighjudo,
    Membership of anyof the 3 organisations you mentioned-bja,bjc,aja allows you to enter most of each others championships. The only exception being a closed championship, which is open only to the particular associations members.
    I see little benefit having membership of more than one organisation as the cost can be quite prohibitive. The only advantage would be if you wished to enter their closed championships. Both the AJA and BJC are affiliated to the BJA, which gives their members access to most BJA events.
    Gradings are held by the organisation you are a member of, and they are the only ones who can grade you and sign your licence. The same applies to qualifications.
    Each organisation will respect the grade you have if you decide to also join them, but will not accept any further grades you may take with your main organisation. meaning if you join the BJA as a BJC 1st Kyu they will accept your grade in your BJA licence, but not any future grade you may take with the BJC. Obviously the reverse also applies BJA to BJC or AJA.
    LeighJudo
    LeighJudo

Post by LeighJudo Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:07 pm

Ah ok. So one would have to grade in each organisation once they have got an additional association license? That is understandable really I suppose.

Thanks for the information on the open/closed championships, that is very helpful.

On the other hand I am thinking about the actual club and its affiliation with regards to being registered with multiple associations. Does it not give new members/parents a bit more of a choice rather than forcing them or their children to have a BJA/BJC/AJA license? Obviously there are pro's and con's for each e.g. cost, pathways and cost of pathways (competition, recreational, coaching and assistant costs etc etc), frequency of events and all that good stuff.

I am thinking it would be good to give them that choice...
    techman

Post by techman Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:04 pm

I can see your train of thought Leighjudo, and over the course of my judo history I have at on e time or other been a member of all the aforementioned organisations. So I am in a good position to give you my opinion.
    1. The BJA is the largest, and offers the most events, but it is in my opinion also the most expensive to gain coaching qualifications with. And as previously said all affiliates can enter the majority of their championships.
    2. The BJC is a smaller organisation, and offer coaching awards at a fraction of the BJA prices and have courses available in the Lancs area-if your club is in Leigh.
    The AJA is the smallest of the three and they too offer coaching courses at reasonable prices, but do not have many clubs in your area as the majority of their clubs theses days seem to be in the Soth of England. But still a good little organisation.

I think the problem comes with having topay out for club affiliation to more than one organisation, and having members who may all decide to join different orgsnisations if given the choice,this gives you as a coach a real headache having to teach 3 different grading syllabus to your members.
    You would also need to send different students to different events and different area gradings.
    Much better to run with one organisation of YOUR choice. Parents and kids do not really care what organisation they belong to as long as they have a good coach at their local club. Good luck mate send me a private mail if I can help you as I'm only about 60 miles away from Leigh, and have been to the Leigh club many years ago.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 11:36 am