E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

4 posters

Atemi Waza - Striking Techniques

Jonesy
    Jonesy

Atemi Waza - Striking Techniques Empty Atemi Waza - Striking Techniques

Post by Jonesy Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:39 am

Atemi Waza - Striking Techniques
    rico

Atemi Waza - Striking Techniques Empty Re: Atemi Waza - Striking Techniques

Post by rico Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:43 pm

For more on Judo’s atemi waza refer to the Kodokan Judo Kagaku Kenkyukai (6 vols)
    & Judo Koza (3 vols).

I'm guessing these aren't easily obtainable references, and they probably aren't available in English?
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:13 pm

rico wrote:
    For more on Judo’s atemi waza refer to the Kodokan Judo Kagaku Kenkyukai (6 vols)
    & Judo Koza (3 vols).

I'm guessing these aren't easily obtainable references, and they probably aren't available in English?

Jûdô Kôza is a 5-volume work (not 3 volumes) edited by Mifune, Kudô and Matsumoto dating from the 1950s. It can still be found in secondhand bookstores in Japan. It does not exist in English.

Kôdôkan Jûdô Kagaku Kenkyûkai simply is the Japanese name of the Bulletin for Scientific Studies of the Kôdôkan. They are supposedly bilingual Japanese/English, but it depends on exactly which volume since some have full trnaslations of the entire article, some of only the Abstract. They can still be found (usually not all together) in secondhand Japanese bookstores. In the mean time there are far more than 6 vols (about 10 or so).

To suggest that any of these books are full of the atemi of jûdô is not true, and without specifics you'd be spending lots of money for and remain frustrated. Jûdô Kôza does have a table of contents that will be helpful in trying to find precisely which volume contains something about atemi, but for the Bulletin there is no cummulative index and you would have to go through the table of contents of each volume. I am sure that it is true that one of them contains something, but don't keep up your hope if you think that you are going to find "all about the atemi of judo" in these volumes. In general most of these volumes contain nothing whatsoever about atemi of judo.
    aspenrebel

Post by aspenrebel Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:06 pm

I only glanced at this Article you posted, so I did not read it in its entirety. I'd have to be clear as to the "terminology" used in describing the "striking techniques" in Judo vs. how I know them. But all I wish to say is that there are ALOT of different "strikes" (hand, fingers, elbow, feet, knees, etc), delivered in many different ways, from many different angles, to many different points on the body. Further, "strikes" can be delivered in multiple, and in quick succession. i.e. it is possible to deliver 6-8 full power punches in 1 second. Further, there is the "principal" of "continuous flow" in delivering a multiple of strikes. Essentially, once you start, you don't stop until it's over. I would need to review my notes as to how many different "striking techniques" I know how to execute. I'm not exactly sure, but it's A LOT!! Many different hand strikes, forming the hand in certain ways to strike at specific points on the body. Similarly for a certain number of kicking techniques. If one takes the totality of "striking techniques" from Judo, Karate, Shaolin Temple, and all other Martial Arts (of course NOT double counting duplication of strikes), you will find that there are A LOT!! A lot of little subtle different "striking techniques" not found in the Judo. Some, which are very nasty. To conclude, these "striking techniques" are NOT a Secret, and they can be found anywhere from many different sources.
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:36 am

See this: http://www.jigorokano.it/Tecnica.html

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 5:50 pm