E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+17
JudoStu
Ben Reinhardt
cuivien
Jimgo
nomoremondays
ThePieman
Blacksmith
NYCNewbie
Smitty2A35
OldeEnglishD
genetic judoka
tafftaz
Rob GBR
Quicksilver
rico
Ricebale
Hanon
21 posters

Atemi waza

Hanon

Atemi waza Empty Atemi waza

Post by Hanon Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:25 am

Would any member enjoy or even appreciate a post on the subject of atemi waza? I know this is a part of judo long forgotten but soon so will ne waza. It may be a good idea for some of you young guys to learn what you can from this dinosaur while you can?
    I don't want to spend time writing a detailed post if its of zero benefit to the membership?

Mike
    Ricebale
    Ricebale

Atemi waza Empty Re: Atemi waza

Post by Ricebale Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:29 am

Out of interest I would like to read about authentic Judo atemi. I have in the past tried to search for some but details are scarce and reliability of internet sources is dubious usually.

Would be good to get an informed view.

Cheers
    rico

Post by rico Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:01 am

Yes, please. Write as detailed as time permits. -rico
    Quicksilver
    Quicksilver

Post by Quicksilver Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:21 am

I would be very interested to read such a post, please?
    Rob GBR
    Rob GBR

Post by Rob GBR Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:43 am

id be interesting, ive heard the term before, no idea what it relates too =s
    tafftaz

Post by tafftaz Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:07 am

Atemi waza- judo striking techniques basically.
    The only references I have are the kodokan video series.kodokan judo by Kano and what I have learned when I have practised goshin jutsu and kime no kata.
    My knowledge on atemi is limited and rarely,if ever practised outside of a kata clinic.
    Be good to read something different on the subject.
    genetic judoka
    genetic judoka

Post by genetic judoka Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:45 am

I would love to read everything you care to write about it. I may not be able to make a very worthwhile reply, but I will read it excitedly. bounce
    OldeEnglishD
    OldeEnglishD

Post by OldeEnglishD Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:15 am

I would be very interested in reading it as well. Thank you for the offer!
    Smitty2A35
    Smitty2A35

Post by Smitty2A35 Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:38 pm

I would like to read about it as well.
    NYCNewbie

Post by NYCNewbie Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:42 pm

Hanon Sensei- I'm not blowing smoke when I say I don't think anything you write on here will go unnoticed/unappreciated. This board has the feeling of a hardcore Judoka's site; the sense I get is that if you're on here, you're into reading/discussing/learning about all aspects of our sport. And we obviously need people that know what they're talking about- a bill which you more than fit.

"Write it and they will come."
    Hanon

Post by Hanon Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:49 am

The work I have needs to be attached and I am having problems attaching it. Hang on while I sort myself out.

Mike
    Blacksmith
    Blacksmith

Post by Blacksmith Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:42 pm

I'll add my voice to the chorus - I'd be interested as well! Thanks for the offer.
    genetic judoka
    genetic judoka

Post by genetic judoka Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:57 pm

Hanon wrote:The work I have needs to be attached and I am having problems attaching it. Hang on while I sort myself out.

Mike
    perhaps an admin could be of assistance. if only we knew where to find one of those...

no but seriously, PM me. I'll help.
    Hanon

Post by Hanon Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:34 am

genetic judoka wrote:
    Hanon wrote:The work I have needs to be attached and I am having problems attaching it. Hang on while I sort myself out.

Mike
    perhaps an admin could be of assistance. if only we knew where to find one of those...

no but seriously, PM me. I'll help.

You are kind.

The problema is I need to translate my work into English then post and my present software will not translate and save etc.

Mike
    Hanon

Post by Hanon Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:41 am

Just tried to copy and paste, no joy.

Tried to attach also no joy.

Basically no joy....

I will contact GJ to see what he now suggests.

Mike
    Hanon

Post by Hanon Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:51 am

Again just tried to attach and it refuses to send. Its on word pad? Why wont it attach?

Bloody hopeless at this stuff...

Okay I think the essay has now been attached?

IMPORTANT NOTE

This is the work of a pupil of mine who wrote this as part of his yodan exam..

I have had to translate it from its original language. In doing so some mistakes have been made. This is my error not his, in its original form the work was very good. To that end any mistakes are on my part and my responsibility and not his.

Mike

Last edited by Hanon on Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
    genetic judoka
    genetic judoka

Post by genetic judoka Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:33 pm

(hopefully) attached to this post is Hanon sensei's essay on atemi waza. let's see how this works out.
    Attachments
    Atemi waza AttachmentAtemi waza English pdf.pdf
    You don't have permission to download attachments.
    (715 Kb) Downloaded 88 times
    Smitty2A35
    Smitty2A35

Post by Smitty2A35 Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:19 pm

I was able to pull it up no problem. Unfortunately, I am at work and will have to wait to really read through it. Looks very good though - already printed it out and have it ready to go. Thank you.

Post by Guest Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:41 pm

What is Kogi ? Even google didn't know ....
    Hanon

Post by Hanon Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:54 pm

Dew wrote:What is Kogi ? Even google didn't know ....

Hi Dew,

Lectures.

I just noticed I still didn't translate some of the Japanese either.

Lets use this is a frame work to help us start the study of Atemi. Its theoretical and needs to be broken down with how these explanations are utilised in a physical manner. If only we had a dojo, lol

Mike
    ThePieman
    ThePieman

Post by ThePieman Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:52 pm

So, with the locality of the blows being so specific as they are, how would one go about practising these techniques in training? scratch
    nomoremondays
    nomoremondays

Post by nomoremondays Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:36 am

Thanks. I think I saw some elements of this in Kawaishi's book. What I have never been able to see is how the atemi waza is tied together with the tachiwaza aspect. Basically the ideas of combos and such. I have seen some videos but am unaware of their veracity. Would you be able to shed some light on that?
    Hanon

Post by Hanon Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:00 am

nomoremondays wrote:Thanks. I think I saw some elements of this in Kawaishi's book. What I have never been able to see is how the atemi waza is tied together with the tachiwaza aspect. Basically the ideas of combos and such. I have seen some videos but am unaware of their veracity. Would you be able to shed some light on that?

I am unsure that I understand your question? If you can expand it a little I will do my best to offer an answer.

Sorry and thanks,

Mike
    Hanon

Post by Hanon Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:10 am

ThePieman wrote:So, with the locality of the blows being so specific as they are, how would one go about practising these techniques in training? scratch

With great care, lol

Soft sparring, randori style where two partner face each other and attack but without contact. Uchikomi, same applies. In the form of established kodokan kata though they are very limited. Ones sensei helps a pair to make up a sequence of attack and response.

I guess these days one could purchase body armour, that padded stuff some other ryu use and with appropriate gloves, protection and supervision, make kumite or randori etc.

Established kodokan kata like the kime no kata is invaluable in terms of tai sabaki, debana, shisei etc, its a long list.

Major point today would be to find a sensei who was able to teach and run a class in atemi waza? Second point is finding students who would be interested. Most judoka and I mean most, don't even know atemi waza exist.

Odd as just before the closure of my dojo we where visited by a young pupil who was a ye;llow belt but with some years of practice in two different countries and several different dojo and her knowledge of ne waza was near zero? Ne waza is being practiced less and less and unless you guys and gals start to make ne waza 50% of your dojo time, I fear you will witness the loss of ne waza as I have witnessed the loss of atemi waza. I digress, sorry.

Mike
    Hanon

Atemi waza Empty A general post on atemi

Post by Hanon Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:31 am

On a point of generality maybe a word or two on atemi and its past part in kodokan judo?

Two basic notions:

One; An atemi as a diversionary action as a prelude to a throw then further atemi.

Two; An atemi that ends the attack with a decisive action, either killing or at least rendering the attacker unable to continue with any further attack

An example of type one may be to attack the assalants nose thus making his eyes water affecting his vision, simultaneously attacking with a throw. We all have to remember a throw properly executed against a non judoka in the street could have devastating effects on the attacker. Further such throws as ippon seoinage can be redirected to its original form, IE genseki otoshi, which is fatal. A 'normal' osoto gari can easily kill. Make that osotogari and o soto geri, with an attack the the Achilles tendon of an attacker and it is very effective and the origin of a kodokan osotogari.

The kia or ear shattering sound we make when defending or pre-empting an attack is used to shock the attacker with sound. Such tactics are used to cause initial and momentary shock, confusion of the senses, giving us time, milliseconds, to take the initiative away or pre-empt the attack.

A sock on the nose will not render an attacker unable to continue his attack, what it can do is cause the eyes to water and render the vision of the attacker impaired enough for us to combine the initial blow with a more severe action such as a throw or attack to a more vital part of his body.

I am unsure it is wise to write instances of type two? I would need permission from Dew on this aspect. We may well have younger viewers and I have no idea what the legalities or even plain sense is in going into detail on how to kill another human being on a judo forum?

It could be suggested then that perhaps two general form of atemi initial action exist.

You do realise how impossible this sort of post is to reference as I am a direct pupil of the sensei who taught me this who where taught by there sensei way back in the 20's? Very much handed down from teacher to pupil. I was teaching this as a part of my weekly judo teaching from the day I started teaching. Its completely 'normal' training for me and my past students.

Mike

Last edited by Hanon on Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:40 am; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 12:06 pm