E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+13
JudoTerrier
Neil G
Dutch Budo
Davaro
Shindai Warrior
annmaria
Cichorei Kano
judoratt
genetic judoka
JudoStu
Stacey
Ricebale
afulldeck
17 posters

ufc ronda rousey vs liz carmouche

Neil G
    Neil G

ufc ronda rousey vs liz carmouche - Page 3 Empty Re: ufc ronda rousey vs liz carmouche

Post by Neil G Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:30 am

JudoTerrier wrote:Ronda's back got taken on the first kesa because she was so close to the cage that Carmouche was able to use it to climb up and over.
    Yeah, but how often in MMA do you see groundwork happening away from the cage? Ronda's tendency is to back them up against the cage where they can't escape the clinch, and from there it's koshi-guruma, ko-soto or ko-uchi. She naturally ends up in kesa from the koshi-guruma but if still against the cage that's clearly risky.

Question for the MMA-knowledgeable: when someone is backpacking you like that, why not just slam her, preferably on her head? I speculate it may not be worth the risk if she isn't dislodged because she'll have more leverage on the ground but don't know for sure.
    PointyShinyBurning

ufc ronda rousey vs liz carmouche - Page 3 Empty Re: ufc ronda rousey vs liz carmouche

Post by PointyShinyBurning Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:51 am

Neil G wrote:
    Question for the MMA-knowledgeable: when someone is backpacking you like that, why not just slam her, preferably on her head? I speculate it may not be worth the risk if she isn't dislodged because she'll have more leverage on the ground but don't know for sure.
    Pretty much what you've said, you're giving them a lot more control for a not particularly high chance of hurting them. It's also not typically easy to land them on their head without also landing on yours.
    Ricebale
    Ricebale

Post by Ricebale Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:43 am

Spiking is illegal, the throw has to look like a throw and not a spike, although the grey area is wide
    Glorfindel
    Glorfindel

Post by Glorfindel Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:34 am

genetic judoka wrote:
    Dutch Budo wrote:

Except when her back got taken.

Trust me, she better unlearn this technique.
    in summary, what we learned here is kesa is a bad position to go into when a wall or fence/cage limits your motion.

You must have control of the head and arm, she was not controlling the arm that well. I always told my student : If you dont have control of the head and the arm, it's not a 'head and arm' (that's how we call kesa gatame in cacc) anymore ;-)

Usually, when that happen (loosing control) you switch position (Rousey did that against Tate) but like you said, if you cant switcc 'cause of the cage (or anything else), you're doomed.

I believe in Kesa, i still show it to my mma guy, we have a couple of nice lockflow from there
    Q mystic
    Q mystic

Post by Q mystic Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:11 pm

I believe that Kesa is the 1st or 2nd best move in all of grappling, ever. That or the shot. A proper kesa is inescapable. Perfect for self-defence but not so much for mma. In mma, with the visual strike scores and more importantly the clock, the far side underhook is better because it will allow more room to strike but that position is way too hard to hold compared hence its usual transition into side control. Too hard to do enough damage from kesa with gloves, the clock and the scoring.

Q mystic
    Q mystic

Post by Q mystic Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:30 pm

Dutch Budo wrote:

Except when her back got taken.

Trust me, she better unlearn this technique.
    '
    I agree if for mma but not so much because 'her back would be taken' as compared to it being pretty weak offensively in a heavily awarded offensive and limited time game.

If your calling back taking then you underestimate a solid kesa, Dutch. Very Happy Most often what I see in mma is not so much an attempt at head and arm or even kesa but a last resort before opponent gets behind you anyway, so I do agree that before going anywhere head and arm, that you better be sure his balance in broken or at least things are going your direction.
    Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

Post by Ben Reinhardt Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:13 am

Q mystic wrote:I believe that Kesa is the 1st or 2nd best move in all of grappling, ever. That or the shot. A proper kesa is inescapable. Perfect for self-defence but not so much for mma. In mma, with the visual strike scores and more importantly the clock, the far side underhook is better because it will allow more room to strike but that position is way too hard to hold compared hence its usual transition into side control. Too hard to do enough damage from kesa with gloves, the clock and the scoring.

One of there hands of free to draw their knife and stab you in the kidneys, LOL.

Q mystic
    Q mystic

Post by Q mystic Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:11 am

Ben Reinhardt wrote:
    Q mystic wrote:I believe that Kesa is the 1st or 2nd best move in all of grappling, ever. That or the shot. A proper kesa is inescapable. Perfect for self-defence but not so much for mma. In mma, with the visual strike scores and more importantly the clock, the far side underhook is better because it will allow more room to strike but that position is way too hard to hold compared hence its usual transition into side control. Too hard to do enough damage from kesa with gloves, the clock and the scoring.

One of there hands of free to draw their knife and stab you in the kidneys, LOL.

rofl cheers

Why kidneys if he pulls his knife at kesa?
    Q mystic
    Q mystic

Post by Q mystic Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:14 am

I think Ronda should be fighting all possible threats, quick. Clear the division while she's young and has such dominance so that there arent any others at this time and give her time to relax while they rebuild the division with more upcoming elites.

She can smoke everyone right now with just her abilities, and she should. This way she can afford time afterward to learn more striking under a relaxed striking atmosphere to where her gameplans could later be much more effective.

Ronda has the time right now in her division to rid any threats that havent been afforded to many before her and she should take advantage of it. She needs more time between fights to learn and she'll get it soon after taking on and eliminating every 'threat' now. She shoudnt be figthing just to fight.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:42 pm