E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+4
genetic judoka
Davaro
Cichorei Kano
HumanRevolution
8 posters

Shrinking two separate brands of Judo Gi

HumanRevolution
    HumanRevolution

Shrinking two separate brands of Judo Gi Empty Shrinking two separate brands of Judo Gi

Post by HumanRevolution Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:25 pm

I've got a Mizuno Yusho size 5.5 and a Adidas J930 IJF in size 200cm

I cannot use my tumble dryer because it is too small.

How do I shrink them?
    I need about 5cm off the mizuno and 7-9 off the Adidas.

So far I've washed both 3 times on a 30degree wash and hung dry inside my house above a radiator.

Thank you.
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Shrinking two separate brands of Judo Gi Empty Re: Shrinking two separate brands of Judo Gi

Post by Cichorei Kano Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:16 am

HumanRevolution wrote:I've got a Mizuno Yusho size 5.5 and a Adidas J930 IJF in size 200cm

I cannot use my tumble dryer because it is too small.

How do I shrink them?
    I need about 5cm off the mizuno and 7-9 off the Adidas.

So far I've washed both 3 times on a 30degree wash and hung dry inside my house above a radiator.

Thank you.

If you need to effectively shrink a gi (assuming that is possible an it is not preshrunk) this is a process that takes place during the first washing. Since per your own admission you have already washed your gi this is not longer effectively possible to that extent. Sorry.

The precise purpose of washing a gi first in cold water (or 30°C, which is close enough to cold water as it is less than your own body temperature) is to prevent a gi from seriously shrinking. Thus that is what you have carried out apparently without realizing so.

I would recommend that in future, perhaps, you let yourself being advised so that the gi you buy will actually fit without having to go through all kinds of processes to make it fit. Not trying to lecture, just thinking in terms of your own best interests even though I understand this does not immediately help you forward.
    Davaro
    Davaro

Shrinking two separate brands of Judo Gi Empty Re: Shrinking two separate brands of Judo Gi

Post by Davaro Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:53 am

Try a very hot wash and then take to a laundromat to tumble dry... may work but I fear you are too late for the kind of shrinkage you require. Good luck with that...
    HumanRevolution
    HumanRevolution

Post by HumanRevolution Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:56 am

I'll butcher it then, I know a tailor who will do it for free for me as he owes me a couple of favors.
    genetic judoka
    genetic judoka

Post by genetic judoka Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:56 am

at least wash it in HOT water before you do that. you said you washed it in cold, but cold doesn't make things shrink (as much).

heck, I've heard of people who don't have a washer that can run on hot (or don't have a water heater) using a large bucket and some boiled water (mixed with tap water, you don't need it to be thaaat hot)
    HumanRevolution
    HumanRevolution

Post by HumanRevolution Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:05 am

genetic judoka wrote:at least wash it in HOT water before you do that. you said you washed it in cold, but cold doesn't make things shrink (as much).

heck, I've heard of people who don't have a washer that can run on hot (or don't have a water heater) using a large bucket and some boiled water (mixed with tap water, you don't need it to be thaaat hot)

Well I've tried on 60degree so I'll see when it is dry, The Mizuno gi is a difficult situation as the shrinkage is negligible anyway.

We'll see.... only good things can happen Neutral
    afulldeck
    afulldeck

Post by afulldeck Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:15 am

All my gi's shrink over time, hot or cold water washing. I learned long ago never to put in a dryer....they shrink too much...
    HumanRevolution
    HumanRevolution

Post by HumanRevolution Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:28 am

afulldeck wrote:All my gi's shrink over time, hot or cold water washing. I learned long ago never to put in a dryer....they shrink too much...
    I did that with a Adidas J800 - Wasted £95 on that because it's far too small.

I'll probably donate it to my Dojo so they can give it to someone who struggles to finance these things, feels less of a waste that way.
    HumanRevolution
    HumanRevolution

Post by HumanRevolution Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:21 pm

Can someone give me some advice that would help me do another 2-3cm?

I've managed to knock about 5cm off My adidas gi in a 60degree wash, I don't want to further damage it's "life expectancy".

I've managed to some how do the same to the Mizuno and they're the same size with a couple more cm's knocked off they'll be serviceable.

Advice for a desperate man.....? Very Happy
    ThePieman
    ThePieman

Post by ThePieman Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:07 am

I don't think you will significantly damage your gi life expectancy, I still occasionally wash my Mizuno gi on a 90 degree wash when they start to look a bit grubby, until recently I would also tumble dry them as well, not sure about you adidas though.
    HumanRevolution
    HumanRevolution

Post by HumanRevolution Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:59 am

Miracles do happen, both have shrunk exactly the same amount. Put them both on a 60 degree with each other.
    still learning

Post by still learning Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:25 am

HumanRevolution wrote:Miracles do happen, both have shrunk exactly the same amount. Put them both on a 60 degree with each other.

Nice result, word of caution Adidas sleeves have a tendancy to keep shrinking, which is why I am unlikely to buy another, so don't wash it too hot too often.
    HumanRevolution
    HumanRevolution

Post by HumanRevolution Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:51 am

still learning wrote:
    HumanRevolution wrote:Miracles do happen, both have shrunk exactly the same amount. Put them both on a 60 degree with each other.

Nice result, word of caution Adidas sleeves have a tendancy to keep shrinking, which is why I am unlikely to buy another, so don't wash it too hot too often.
    I had the same issue with a J800.
    Vin
    Vin

Post by Vin Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:04 pm

I am not sure about the Mizuno Yusho IJF you have in the UK but if the part number 12801 and made in China. Then it is possible it is a preshrunk version. The same for the Adidas J930 IJF.

It is absolutely a BAD, BAD IDEA to have an IJF gi tailored or altered. As soon as you do that you have voided the IJF approval of the gi for IJF competition.

The Mizuno Yusho when wash in hot water and dry in the dryer in high heat after about 4 wash and dry cycle should see a shrinkage of approximately 4 cm. I have done this to the U.S. version. The Adidas J930 which I have not tested should have a shrinkage of approximately 3 to 4 cm shrinkage when washed in hot water and dry in the dryer.

Once you have shrunk the gi to your desired size, wash in cold water and hang dry from then on.
    HumanRevolution
    HumanRevolution

Post by HumanRevolution Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:44 pm

I was considering purchasing one from you guys before I realized there was a seller in the UK, You're the man from KodokanGear?

Anyway, as I always do I wash it on a zero degree wash as soon as I receive it, The Adidas had the exact same shrinkage which was different to what
    I was told. I'm new to all this anyway, I lent Gi's from my Dojo until I realized I really enjoyed it and was serious about doing it. 5-7 according to the
    Kodokan webpage, for the Adidas line, slightly less if it is an IJF version.

I try to read up first, but as this is only my third attempt I think I did well....XD

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:16 am