E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

4 posters

Please critique my shiai performance!

Taiobroshi
    Taiobroshi

Please critique my shiai performance! Empty Please critique my shiai performance!

Post by Taiobroshi Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:20 pm

I'm in the white gi!

If you're curious what I thought about my performance, feel free to check out my blog post on it. I'm more interested in what you guys have to say though... Embarassed

http://modernjudoka.blogspot.com/2013/03/competition-video.html

-B
    jkw

Please critique my shiai performance! Empty Re: Please critique my shiai performance!

Post by jkw Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:49 pm

Just a quick question - what happened at 2.38?

It looked like you were in a strong position to transition to osae-komi but seemed to stop well before matte was called.

Well done for competing & also for posting!

--

Edit: Sorry - just read your explanation of this on your blog. I would point out that ippon is ippon whether in tachi-waza or ne-waza.
    Taiobroshi
    Taiobroshi

Please critique my shiai performance! Empty Re: Please critique my shiai performance!

Post by Taiobroshi Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:04 pm

Watching it again, he motioned that he hit his head so that might have been why I backed off. Shiai is still new to me, especially in terms of my attitude towards my opponent... but yes, an ippon is an ippon! I hope I don't turn into a Marius Vizer-like character who is only satisfied with "spectacular" ippons.
    judoratt
    judoratt

Post by judoratt Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:02 am

Tiaobroshi,
    Great you posted your video, here is a little critique.
    Your gripping is inconsistent the sleve hand is rarely in controll. rarely do you grab it in the same way twice. Try to take controll of the lower sleve and turn your wrist out for controll and dont let uke move your grip arround. Your posture needs some work keep your head up and back streight. Tiatoshi needs work go back to the basics and work on the entry and hand work. Your transistion from standing to newaza is doesn't exist you may be doing too much BJJ and not connecting it to judo. All and all you have fine judo for a ikkyu but it needs alot of polish, clean up the taio, grip better/consistant, posture head up, and work on transitions.
    BTW Did you fight or have film on Tomo from Washington he is one of my players.
    Taiobroshi
    Taiobroshi

Post by Taiobroshi Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:47 am

judoratt wrote:Tiaobroshi,
    Great you posted your video, here is a little critique.
    Your gripping is inconsistent the sleve hand is rarely in controll. rarely do you grab it in the same way twice. Try to take controll of the lower sleve and turn your wrist out for controll and dont let uke move your grip arround. Your posture needs some work keep your head up and back streight. Tiatoshi needs work go back to the basics and work on the entry and hand work. Your transistion from standing to newaza is doesn't exist you may be doing too much BJJ and not connecting it to judo. All and all you have fine judo for a ikkyu but it needs alot of polish, clean up the taio, grip better/consistant, posture head up, and work on transitions.
    BTW Did you fight or have film on Tomo from Washington he is one of my players.

<-- I'm a sankyu! Not that it matters- brown is brown. At my home dojo last night one of the black belts gave me the same advice about my sleeve hand... I never noticed before. Posture didn't feel as bad as it looked because my opponent never took an overhand grip, but I would have likely lost if he did. That's part of the beauty of taking videos though and I'm thankful for the feedback so far.

In regards to Tomo, he was my next match. He'll tell you all about it, but he had an interesting day. Our match ended prematurely due to a medical stoppage (shoulder injury from an accidental crank from him). The medics came and checked my shoulder, determined I was fine, but said I couldn't continue this match because they came out. This all happened within the first 10 seconds, where I circled around his drop seionage. I watched his 3rd place match as well- it was against a SJSU player who eliminated him from the main bracket. That match ended due to a hansokumake by way of illegal head dive (uchi mata) by his opponent. Tomo is very fast! We were both disappointed our match didn't finish in the normal way.

EDIT: I've gotten conflicting advice over the years as whether I should aim to control the bottom of the sleeve or the material around the elbow. Clearly I haven't made up my mind yet- is there a particular advantage one provides over the other? When playing significantly taller players (i.e. everybody) I always go for the bottom of the sleeve because I feel stretched out otherwise. Now that I'm starting to focus on playing people my own size, choking up on the sleeve towards the elbow feels more natural since that's where my hikite falls naturally in that scenario. These are honest questions because the only time I get to randori with kyu or dan grade players my height is during shiai.
    tafftaz

Post by tafftaz Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:37 am

Its all down to preference. I prefer lower sleeve as I find it easier and less restricting when turning in for a forward throw, especially as I get older (as cruise liners can turn faster than me now :D0)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:39 pm