E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+7
The_Harvest
afja_lm139
rjohnston411
finarashi
Jonesy
Steve Leadbeater
Gus
11 posters

Medical certificates required to practice Judo ?

Gus

Medical certificates required to practice Judo ? Empty Medical certificates required to practice Judo ?

Post by Gus Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:43 pm

Here in Italy they have a law that to practise Judo you must present a medical certificate - a clean bill of health. I have trained in many countries but this is the first time I have come across this and initially I viewed it as an inconvenience as Im only here for a month and its not easy to get one - but now I'm beginning to think it makes sense. At first I thought it was just to make sure you didnt have a heart condition and drop down dead on the tatami - but then my wife also mentioned diseases like HIV could be spread by blood. This has never crossed my mind before - but then I think about the amount of times Ive seen a blood splattered gi - or a nail has come loose leaving a cut on the finger - the more I think about it the more it seems like a valid health concern. What do you think - should the Italian system be adopted internationally ?
    Steve Leadbeater
    Steve Leadbeater

Medical certificates required to practice Judo ? Empty Re: Medical certificates required to practice Judo ?

Post by Steve Leadbeater Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:50 pm

NO !!
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Medical certificates required to practice Judo ? Empty Re: Medical certificates required to practice Judo ?

Post by Jonesy Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:21 pm

Never seen it anywhere or experienced it anywhere - inc. Italy.
    finarashi
    finarashi

Post by finarashi Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:42 pm

Bigger probolem surely are the other things these kind of certificates do not convey, like; How clean is the tatami? How clean are the fingernails? How clean is the dressing room?
    Gus

Post by Gus Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:01 am

Jonesy wrote:Never seen it anywhere or experienced it anywhere - inc. Italy.

Thats weird - two clubs have mentioned it here in Florence - I assume its an Italy wide thing but maybe its just a Tuscan thing. They seem to be OK if you just want to do one or two practises - but if you want to stay on for a few weeks they ask for it.
    rjohnston411
    rjohnston411

Post by rjohnston411 Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:01 am

It makes sense.
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:05 am

Gus wrote:
    Jonesy wrote:Never seen it anywhere or experienced it anywhere - inc. Italy.

Thats weird - two clubs have mentioned it here in Florence - I assume its an Italy wide thing but maybe its just a Tuscan thing. They seem to be OK if you just want to do one or two practises - but if you want to stay on for a few weeks they ask for it.
    Mine was just a one off course....
    afja_lm139
    afja_lm139

Post by afja_lm139 Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:46 am

Can I take my walker out on the tatami? Smile

Just kidding; I gave that up over three years ago.
    The_Harvest
    The_Harvest

Post by The_Harvest Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:08 am

This also applies in France and not only for Judo.
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:16 am

Gus wrote: What do you think - should the Italian system be adopted internationally ?

Hey ... if they can make the trains run on time ...
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:00 am

Gus wrote:Here in Italy they have a law that to practise Judo you must present a medical certificate - a clean bill of health. I have trained in many countries but this is the first time I have come across this and initially I viewed it as an inconvenience as Im only here for a month and its not easy to get one - but now I'm beginning to think it makes sense. At first I thought it was just to make sure you didnt have a heart condition and drop down dead on the tatami - but then my wife also mentioned diseases like HIV could be spread by blood. This has never crossed my mind before - but then I think about the amount of times Ive seen a blood splattered gi - or a nail has come loose leaving a cut on the finger - the more I think about it the more it seems like a valid health concern. What do you think - should the Italian system be adopted internationally ?

Yes, it depends on the country, but in some countries in Europe it is common. I think it started somewhere around 1981. In reality it often amounts to rubberstamping.

I am somewhat at loss with the link to HIV, which is a more health hazard than about someone's personal ability to do judo. HIV, by the way, is not a very contagious disease. I am already regretting writing this, as I just know someone will quote this out of context. Hepatitis-B is far more contagious than HIV, and this for all kinds of reasons. I know of no case where someone has attracted HIV through judo, so chances that you would be the first are not much higher than you being killed tomorrow morning when you leave your house because of a part falling off a commercial jet straight on your head.

There are, however, numerous medical reports about skin infections, such as tinea (trichophytosis) and herpes gladiatorum, and unfortunately also MRSA looking around the corner. See, for example:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16280611
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23068588

You can also get these in fitness centers, public showers, etc. Consider it a normal risk of the profession rather than become paranoid because of the risk.

Last edited by Cichorei Kano on Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
    nomoremondays
    nomoremondays

Post by nomoremondays Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:02 am

Steve Leadbeater wrote:NO !!
    wow thats quite emphatic lol!

anyways, that sounds like a good idea to me.

of course good luck trying to get anything health care related, even if its just a sign off, for cheap in good ole USA.
    Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:52 am

Health certificates are common in the US for school aged children, or at least the "sports physical" with associated form was mandatory every year. One per year no matter how many sports a kid competed in. But of course, this was school sport, not YMCA, AAU, or church league softball.

As an adult, you sign a waiver, and hope that everybody else is being honest, too. I'm talking everybody - from the people who mop the latrines with the same mop they use on the facility floors to other judoka to the doctor you saw 3 years ago for a physical.

Personally, I see the "health certificate" as a bit of a panacea. There's no guarantee that anything's really not amiss. Heart attacks can happen in the parking lot of the doctor's office right after the patient's left the doctor's office. You can get any form of communicable disease from contact with anybody, and drag it into the dojo. Granted, I know that sex workers in Amsterdam and elsewhere have regular STD screenings with a health certificate, but it happens more than once a year and they come into closer contact with their clients than judoka in the dojo anytime. Still, a person would be taking a risk with a red light worker with a valid heath certificate - there's always the possibility, and you are getting intimately close with that person's body and all the creepy crawlies on it.

The best bet is common sense when it comes to communicable conditions and a nice waiver of liability when it comes to somebody not telling the sensei that they're epileptic or something. If you feel ill, stay out of the dojo. If you have a rash or a parasite, stay out of the dojo. Expect your peers to do the same. Be prepared with decent health insurance if they don't.

As for staph - remember, my doc diagnosed my staph as a "latex allergy" even when pus was draining from my leg. It took going to a different doc and having the stuff cultured to get the definitive diagnosis. So, even a health certificate can be pretty faulty.

What would you do if the guy you've been working with for the last few months called you up and said, "you know that cough I've had for forever? yeah, well it turns out it's TB"?
    Steve Leadbeater
    Steve Leadbeater

Post by Steve Leadbeater Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:04 pm

nomoremondays wrote:

of course good luck trying to get anything health care related, even if its just a sign off, for cheap in good ole USA.

I'm not in the USA........I'm in Australia, we try to be a little different from the rest Cool
    Gus

Post by Gus Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:48 pm

nomoremondays wrote:

I suspect he'd never get his beer belly through a medical exam after all that xxxx and Fosters Neutral
    On a more serious note I always thought I should get my heart checked out anyway - just in case.
    Steve Leadbeater
    Steve Leadbeater

Post by Steve Leadbeater Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:27 am

[quote="Gus"]
    nomoremondays wrote:

I suspect he'd never get his beer belly through a medical exam after all that xxxx and Fosters Neutral
    On a more serious note I always thought I should get my heart checked out anyway - just in case.

To see if you actually have one perhaps ?? Very Happy
    Gus

Post by Gus Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:12 pm

[quote="Steve Leadbeater"]
    Gus wrote:
    nomoremondays wrote:

To see if you actually have one perhaps ?? Very Happy

ouch- ippon Laughing

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:55 pm