E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

3 posters

Surgery again...this time my knee

still learning

Surgery again...this time my knee Empty Surgery again...this time my knee

Post by still learning Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:33 am

Booked in for arthroscopic trimming of my cartilage and investigation of ACL tears next week. Full 6 months after an appallingly bad taitoshi during shiai.

Would welcome feedback from anyone who has had similar surgery as to do's and don'ts and recovery timescales for returning to training.

Many thanks.
    Stacey
    Stacey

Surgery again...this time my knee Empty Re: Surgery again...this time my knee

Post by Stacey Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:10 am

do talk with your female friends about lotions for your leg. They'll shave it, and the growing back will be murder! Your female friends will know what's good for razor burn and moisturizing when your hair's growing back.

If on crutches for any length of time, bicycle gloves will really reduce the palm pain.

Otherwise, listen to your doctor and your PT. I recommend taking a picture of your PT and putting it on your dartboard. Then, throw knives, hatchets, and chainsaws at it every time you feel the need to express yourself.

Oh, and take it easy with the weight bearing cross training, especially if you lose a lot of that cartilage. Bone against bone just really sucks. Biking and swimming and cross country skiing - those will get your cardio in shape without unnecessary banging of knees. But, you have a ways to go before you get into that discussion.
    still learning

Post by still learning Fri May 10, 2013 2:50 am

Back home after what seems like minor surgery. Torn cartilage removed, ACL checks fine, damage under knee cap tidied up. Crutches seem a bit superfluous as no great pain or swelling.

Major worry is that consultant has advised against impact sports. Apparently as there is now less cartilage, there is greater likelihood of damage to the knee structure. Obviously judo has many impacts, but not normally many on the knees.

Anybody got some help or guidance?
    Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Fri May 10, 2013 3:02 am

usually they mean things like running. fwiw, my brother used to jump out of airplanes with 80 lbs strapped to his back and then march some ungodly number of miles with no cartilage in either knee. But, my brother is crazier than me. I'd suggest talking with your physical therapist and your doctor about just what they mean by "no impact"
    still learning

Post by still learning Fri May 10, 2013 3:16 am

Stacey wrote:usually they mean things like running. fwiw, my brother used to jump out of airplanes with 80 lbs strapped to his back and then march some ungodly number of miles with no cartilage in either knee. But, my brother is crazier than me. I'd suggest talking with your physical therapist and your doctor about just what they mean by "no impact"

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll be seeing my physiotherapist and doctor in the next week or so, they have all been supportive of me continuing up to now. If your brother could do that I am sure I can manage a few more shiai when I get my fitness back.
    genetic judoka
    genetic judoka

Post by genetic judoka Fri May 10, 2013 3:21 am

I once had a doctor tell me that I need to quit doing judo altogether, on the grounds that it's too dangerous. my solution: get a new doctor.

it seems pretty much the norm in modern medicine.

did you injure yourself doing normal activities? well then you need to start exercising.

did you injure yourself exercising? well then you need to stop exercising.

yeah right.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 2:11 pm