E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+4
Ricebale
rjohnston411
Emanuele2
GregW
8 posters

New School Judo?

GregW

New School Judo? Empty New School Judo?

Post by GregW Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:13 pm

Hi everyone. My son and I will be heading out to the CAJA "Greatest Camp" in just under two weeks. I was looking at the camp schedule and they have a class listed under the name "New School Judo" on the first day. I'm not familiar with that term. Does that mean the opposite of "old school" judo or does that have something to do with setting up a new dojo or club? Anyone know that they mean by that? I'm looking forward to attending the coaching classes and hopefully get to spend some time in some kata classes as well. Anyone else going? Here's the link to the schedule.

http://greatestcamp.com/forms/Camp-Schedule.pdf

Last edited by GregW on Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fix link)
    Emanuele2

New School Judo? Empty Re: New School Judo?

Post by Emanuele2 Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:29 am

Maybe it could be the IJF sport oriented judo.
    rjohnston411
    rjohnston411

Post by rjohnston411 Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:41 am

Probably pattycake jacket wrestling as espoused by the IJF.
    Ricebale
    Ricebale

Post by Ricebale Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:19 am

Typo

NEW - Judo School
    GregW

Post by GregW Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:45 am

Well, I guess I'll have to wait and see at camp. I'll report my findings when I get back. Smile
    Q mystic
    Q mystic

Post by Q mystic Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:11 am

rjohnston411 wrote:Probably pattycake jacket wrestling as espoused by the IJF.

I don't see how patty-cake judo means anything bad.lol In any way. It's what it takes to be really good. A side-effect. The judoka are still the same old killers and judo was always boring to watch anyway. I think thru-out many years earlier, many called a fast jab on elites..

new school judo could be both opinions above rolled into one even where Rice prolly nailed it.
    rjohnston411
    rjohnston411

Post by rjohnston411 Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:36 am

Bad as in winning on gripping penalties alone. I don't have stats but it seems to happen a lot.
    genetic judoka
    genetic judoka

Post by genetic judoka Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:30 am

you're going there Greg? I'll be there too. is this your first year?

be sure to come say hi, and maybe look for me during the randori sessions. I'll make myself easy to find: I'm the 6'-5" guy with a beard. that should surely narrow it down.

don't miss forum member Heikojr's kata class (I'm hoping he and Jeff are teaching NNK again this year, they put on an excellent class last year). unfortunately I haven't practiced it since I was there last year, so I'll be going there and embarrassing myself.
    heikojr
    heikojr

Post by heikojr Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:40 am

Yes, i will be there also! And, yes, we are working on Nage-no-kata again! We are trying something a little different this year, we are trying to keep with the schedule that the rest of camp works on --- so you could, for example, come for just one set of the kata!

It will be good to see you again Genetic Judoka and i look forward to meeting GregW. Come up and say "hi"!

heikojr
    JudoTerrier
    JudoTerrier

Post by JudoTerrier Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:32 am

I'm about counting down the hours until I leave for camp tomorrow.....

And one of the senior dan ranks in our dojo was very happy to see to way they did the kata schedule this year--he really wanted to do some kata but not have to spend the whole three days on it. 

Erika
    heikojr
    heikojr

Post by heikojr Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:22 am

Erika,
    Please come over and introduce yourself --- it's nice to meet people you know through the forum and put a face to the person!

I am also counting down. I leave on a flight right after work tomorrow. I am looking forward to camp!

heikojr
    genetic judoka
    genetic judoka

Post by genetic judoka Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:19 am

getting in the van at 5am tomorrow. I'll surely be visible by the hotel pool tomorrow.
    GregW

Post by GregW Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:32 am

My son and I just got back to Oklahoma this morning from camp.  I had not checked back on the thread again before departing so I didn't know that so many forum members would be there.  I was glad to meet Genetic Judoka.  It's funny how you described yourself, 6'5" with the beard.  It would have been easy to find you.  One lady was looking for her husband at the door of the main hall one morning--she described him as a white guy with a shaved head and a blue gi.  We counted about ten of those in there at the time!

I couldn't attend the "New School" class because I wanted to attend the NNK sessions and they were at the same time.  They were great, but the one I enjoyed the most was the Itsuzu No Kata.  I was excited by the opportunity to learn that one!  The kata instructors were excellent.  I had to miss the class for the last two sets because I was in the coaching certification class all day the second day.

My son passed his test for senior ikkyu that same day. He's only 14 so you can imagine that I'm super proud of him.  This was his third time to the camp, but it was the first for me.  We had a great time and we're looking forward to going back next year.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:24 am