E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

4 posters

What is the starting age for Shime-waza (choking)?

Kot
    Kot

What is the starting age for Shime-waza (choking)? Empty What is the starting age for Shime-waza (choking)?

Post by Kot Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:40 am

Participant in "Juvenile A" is 12 Years old at the moment of competition.
    Will Shime-waza (Choking) allow? Or it depends on type of competition in US?

Thanks in advance for clarification.
    Steve
    Hanon

What is the starting age for Shime-waza (choking)? Empty Re: What is the starting age for Shime-waza (choking)?

Post by Hanon Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:13 am

Kot wrote:Participant in "Juvenile A" is 12 Years old at the moment of competition.
    Will Shime-waza (Choking) allow? Or it depends on type of competition in US?

Thanks in advance for clarification.
    Steve

Unfortunately there isn't a single black and white answer to this. It depends on country and many other factors.

Here under 16's are not allowed to use shime nor udekansetuwaza in shiai. In my own dojo I don't now allow any under 16 year olds from using them in shiai, randori. Insurance and how the laws are today will often dictate the answer you desire. Its a minefield.

It is also now accepted that kansetsu waza can damage the growth plates on youngsters. Such information wasn't available when I was a child so we used them as part of judo regardless of age. Law and greater education have changed the way we teach and what we teach to whom.

Mike
    Kot
    Kot

What is the starting age for Shime-waza (choking)? Empty Re: What is the starting age for Shime-waza (choking)?

Post by Kot Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:04 am

Mike,
    Let me rephrase my question.
    Country is USA.
    Junior US Open and other US level junior competition generally allow Choking for Juvenile A in 2013 ( Date of birth 2000-1999).
    What happened if child did not reach 13 by competition date ( statistically it is should be 20-25% of participants)?
    On local competition I see referee asking kids : how old are you and forbid choking if they are younger then 13.
    What will happen on national level?
    Steve
    genetic judoka
    genetic judoka

Post by genetic judoka Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:08 am

in local florida comps the rule is "under 13 no shime waza" which means at 13 you can choke and be choked, at 12 you can do neither. also if you're 12 playing up an age division you play by the rules of the division you're in and as such can be choked.

also, those rules change from place to place.

also having seen your follow up response, the rules are by division. if "juvenile A" can do shime waza, then all competitors in that division can do shime waza. the rules change by division, not on a match to match basis within the division.
    judoratt
    judoratt

Post by judoratt Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:05 pm

Kot wrote:Mike,
    Let me rephrase my question.
    Country is USA.
    Junior US Open and other US level junior competition generally allow Choking for Juvenile A in 2013 ( Date of birth 2000-1999).
    What happened if child did not reach 13 by competition date ( statistically it is should be 20-25% of participants)?
    On local competition I see referee asking kids : how old are you and forbid choking if they are younger then 13.
    What will happen on national level?
    Steve

At nationals/US open divisions are by birth year, and about 25% of the kids in the juvenile A will be 12 on the July date of the event. Shimiwaza is allowed in Juv. A division.
    Kot
    Kot

Post by Kot Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:09 am

Thanks

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:39 am