E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

4 posters

Wasabi or not wasabi - that is the question

Jonesy
    Jonesy

Wasabi or not wasabi - that is the question Empty Wasabi or not wasabi - that is the question

Post by Jonesy Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:07 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29082091
    Gus

Wasabi or not wasabi - that is the question Empty Re: Wasabi or not wasabi - that is the question

Post by Gus Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:00 pm

I cant believe Ive never really had wasabi....
    NBK
    NBK

Wasabi or not wasabi - that is the question Empty Re: Wasabi or not wasabi - that is the question

Post by NBK Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:55 pm

I fully expected nothing interesting in the link but that is a great article.

Think about it - wasabi only grows in soil with flowing water, but croaks if the atmospheric humidity is too high. Trust the Japanese to find such a fickle thing....

By the way, Gus, you've probably never had proper gari (pickled ginger), either.

And Jonesy, the single worst sushi I ever had was in London, on the way to see you. Now I simply won't eat Japanese food outside Japan unless coerced to do so....

NBK
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:23 am

Dude, I have only seen you eat Japanese food one time IN Japan ... and that did not end well (say hello, my best as always) ... toshomen does not count ... which brings me to my next point.

Poor Mr. Oates, the truth is that the Chinese have gone after the wasabi market already, dumping the stuff into Japan. Because of government incentives and loans and the attraction of profit, they will typically over-produce whatever they can regardless of quality, label it however they want, adulterate in order to offer it at cheaper and cheaper prices as the market crashes ... and crater the wasabi business worldwide. You are doomed, Mr. Oates, doomed.
    Gus

Post by Gus Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:06 pm

NBK wrote:

By the way, Gus, you've probably never had proper gari (pickled ginger), either.

You're kidding me ? Surely its just pickled ginger ? Or is it some obscure sub species of Japanese ginger that only grows on one island off the coast of Japan and which has to be gathered during a full eclipse of the moon ?
    In the amazon there is a very special type of ginger which they call gengivre del monte - its smaller than normal ginger and has um... "special" properties.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 08, 2024 12:30 pm