E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

2 posters

Jigoro Kano's Kitō ryu jujutsu certificate Menjo / Menkyo

noboru
    noboru

Jigoro Kano's Kitō ryu jujutsu certificate Menjo / Menkyo Empty Jigoro Kano's Kitō ryu jujutsu certificate Menjo / Menkyo

Post by noboru Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:54 am

From japanese wikipedia to term 柔道    http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%9F%94%E9%81%93

Jigoro Kano's Kitō ryu jujutsu certificate Menjo / Menkyo 250px-Kano_kitoryu_judo_menjo

Large size:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b0/Kano_kitoryu_judo_menjo.jpg

Japanese text to picture on wikipedia:
    飯久保恒年から嘉納治五郎に授与された「日本伝起倒柔道」の免状(明治16年)。柔道という用語は嘉納が学んだ起倒流ですでに使われていた。

Google translator translated the text as:
    Diploma was awarded from Ikubo Hisashitoshi to Jigoro Kano "Japan den cause 倒 judō " (1883). The term judō had already been used in Kitō-ryū, which Kano is lerned.

Source: 講道館監修, Kodokan (ed.) - The Japanese book "嘉納治五郎大系・第12巻" (Kano Jigoro Taikei (Jigoro Kano's Writings), vol. 12, Tokyo: Honnotomosha)
    noboru
    noboru

Jigoro Kano's Kitō ryu jujutsu certificate Menjo / Menkyo Empty text of certificate

Post by noboru Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:20 am

One member of FCB group Koryu Bujutsu tried translate the text of certificate.

He wrote:
    "Nihon Den Kito Judo. After several years of training (majoring in?) this school the |recipient's| mental power and skills are fully learned (developed), and so I allow this person to teach others."

More or less. Some parts are foggy as to what they actually mean and thus are not clear to me. Flowery.

------------
    In according this information my/google translator attempt for translation text to picture in previous post could be :
    Diploma was awarded from Ikubo Hisashitoshi to Jigoro Kano "Nihon Den Kitō judō " (1883). The term judō had already been used in Kitō-ryū, which Kano lerned.
    noboru
    noboru

Jigoro Kano's Kitō ryu jujutsu certificate Menjo / Menkyo Empty Re: Jigoro Kano's Kitō ryu jujutsu certificate Menjo / Menkyo

Post by noboru Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:45 am

In the book Judo Memoirs of Jigoro Kano is chapter with story how Kano received Kito ryu densho from Master Iikubo. He received jujutsu suit and densho too.

Jigoro Kano's Kitō ryu jujutsu certificate Menjo / Menkyo 10426322_10153036643885680_3712916244117710716_n
    noboru
    noboru

Jigoro Kano's Kitō ryu jujutsu certificate Menjo / Menkyo Empty Re: Jigoro Kano's Kitō ryu jujutsu certificate Menjo / Menkyo

Post by noboru Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:08 am

In the works: Nanatsunokata, Endōnokata, and Jōgenokata ―A pedagogical and qualitative biomechanical evaluation of Hirano Tokio’s kuzushi (unbalancing) concept as part of skill acquisition for throwing techniques in Kōdōkan jūdō from Carl DE CRÉE*

http://revpubli.unileon.es/ojs/index.php/artesmarciales/article/download/1162/1057

is scan of Kitōryū jūjutsu traditional makimono 巻物 (scroll) Hontainomaki 本體之巻 (Scroll of Proper Body Position) on the page 6.
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:26 am

The scroll pictured there is mine - it's an interesting anachronism of a type, I think. I've since had the scroll flattened out and remounted - if Mrs. NBK ever agrees it will make a great wallhanger!

Kano shihan inherited the Kitó ryú dojo of his instructor at an early age after the sensei died.

This menkyó, granted in 1884, to me highlights several things:
    - Kano shihan wasn't just teaching júdó at the Kodokan, but rather at least one, probably at least two, other jújujutsu schools' styles, Kitó ryú and Tenjin Shin'yó ryú (judging from the denshó he granted and the demonstrations of the period). Judo was still under development at this time.
    - He adopted the 'traditional' style of granting denshó as evidence of progress before adopting the dan / kyu system used today in the Kodokan, and indeed throughout martial arts throughout the world.
    - Hoshina Shiró (later Saigó Shiró) got that menkyó after only a very short time in the Kodokan, which indicates to me that it truly was meant as a very introductory 'ranking'.

There were also other dojo at Eisó-ji (Buddhist temple) but that is another tale.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:43 pm