E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

5 posters

Kari vs Harai

classicschmosby

Kari vs Harai Empty Kari vs Harai

Post by classicschmosby Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:46 am

Could someone explain the differences between these two movements please?
    The only explanation i have read is that a kari is a movement similar to reaping with a sickle which is not a movement that I am familiar with.
    Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

Kari vs Harai Empty Re: Kari vs Harai

Post by Ben Reinhardt Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:40 am

classicschmosby wrote:Could someone explain the differences between these two movements please?
    The only explanation i have read is that a kari is a movement similar to reaping with a sickle which is not a movement that I am familiar with.

Harai is derived from the verb for "to sweep", "Kari" from the verb "to cut".

Kari or gari waza put weight on the leg, which is then "cut" or "reaped" from under uke. Can reap/cut with foot/leg (Osoto Gari, Ouchi Gari, Kosoto Gari, et al.) or hand(s) (Morote Gari, for example).

Harai/barai, the weight is not fully on the limb to be "swept", or transferring on or off the limb, e.g., De Ashi Barai, Okuri Ashi Barai.

Note that some kari waza can turn into "sweeping-like" action where the limb to be "cut" isn't fully weighted..hence some people using terms like "Kosoto Barai".

Emanuele2

Post by Emanuele2 Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:40 am

In Italian kari/gari is translated as "to reap".
    Ryvai
    Ryvai

Post by Ryvai Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:34 pm

classicschmosby wrote:Could someone explain the differences between these two movements please?

The best explaination I've ever read about the difference between gari (reaping), harai (sweeping) and gake (hooking) I found in the book by T. Daigo. Mifune explains in short, using a plant and a light object as analogy, the following;

Kari vs Harai Mifune11
    Reinberger
    Reinberger

Post by Reinberger Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:33 pm

Regarding the last citation, which (without it's context may seem to) cover(s) ashi waza generally:

Of course, there is not only harai (sweeping), kake (hooking) and kari (reaping) in ashi waza, but also concepts like kuruma (wheel), as well as different forms of hindrance or "check", called otoshi (dropping) and sasae (support). Examples are hiza guruma, ō soto otoshi, sasae tsuri komi ashi and other techniques.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:16 am