E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

3 posters

Training of crown prince Yoshihito (the later Taishō-tennō)?

Reinberger
    Reinberger

Training of crown prince Yoshihito (the later Taishō-tennō)? Empty Training of crown prince Yoshihito (the later Taishō-tennō)?

Post by Reinberger Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:11 pm

Recently, in a Viennese Newspaper from 1906, I found this remark about the Meiji-tennō:

... "One day, he attended the exercises in Dschiu-Dschitsu in the wrestling school of peers, just as a big, strong fellow pitted his strength against the crown prince." ...

(The crown prince is later identified as "Yoshi hito". The original, German text poorly translated by myself.)

Is anything known about a possible training of the Taishō-tennō in Jūjutsu or Jūdō in his younger days? Was it part of his upbringing as a crown prince (I know that prince/emperor Yoshihito was often in frail health, all through his lifetime.)?
    wdax

Training of crown prince Yoshihito (the later Taishō-tennō)? Empty Re: Training of crown prince Yoshihito (the later Taishō-tennō)?

Post by wdax Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:08 am

Reinberger wrote:Recently, in a Viennese Newspaper from 1906, I found this remark about the Meiji-tennō:

... "One day, he attended the exercises in Dschiu-Dschitsu in the wrestling school of peers, just as a big, strong fellow pitted his strength against the crown prince." ...

(The crown prince is later identified as "Yoshi hito". The original, German text poorly translated by myself.)

Is anything known about a possible training of the Taishō-tennō in Jūjutsu or Jūdō in his younger days? Was it part of his upbringing as a crown prince (I know that prince/emperor Yoshihito was often in frail health, all through his lifetime.)?

The Taisho-tenno was born in 1879 and a pupil of Gukushuin. Jigoro Kano was employed at Gakushuin as a lecturer and later vice-principal from 1882-89. Kano opened a dojo at gakushuin, so it is very likely, that the tenno practiced judo/jujutsu there.
    Reinberger
    Reinberger

Training of crown prince Yoshihito (the later Taishō-tennō)? Empty Re: Training of crown prince Yoshihito (the later Taishō-tennō)?

Post by Reinberger Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:52 am

Thank you very much, wdax.

The paragraph was written to illustrate "the affability and benevolence" of the Meiji-tennō, as everybody was afraid the Tennō would voice his displeasedness, when, "after short resistance the crown prince was thrown and had to admit defeat. But he took the wrestler, that got the better of prince Yoshi Hito by the hand and said: 'You are a brave cavalier, preserve yourself so strong and so skilled. One day my son will be in need of people as strong as yourself.'"

The story - especially the part about the physical contact between the emperor and the "wrestler", if it's true at all, doesn't really fit in with my imagination of imperial behaviour. On the other hand, the latter may (have had) differ(ed) in the face of relatively young children.

Anyway, it seems to underline the equality of students in a dōjō wonderfully.

I just wonder, why such an incidence shouldn't be more famous. Perhaps it's because of some kind of sublime discretion vis-à-vis the imperial family?
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:52 pm

The boys of prewar Japan often 'wrestled' or practiced judo, so it was not so remarkable. Just as many modern boys would take volleyball or soccer / football for a school semester then never again, it was simply not so remarkable. If he had continued it would be noted, I am sure.

The Emperor Hirohito had a number of cousins and uncles about his age. As a youth they regularly 'wrestled' which apparently means they practiced some type of sumo, and he was regularly beaten by his elders. He was largely privately schooled.

In my research I only found one member of the Imperial family that got judo rank.

There is a picture of my judo sensei teaching the current Emperor judo as a child. I do not know the event but it was probably in the 1950's.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 1:50 pm