E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

2 posters

Ukemi-no-kata

Jonesy
    Jonesy

Ukemi-no-kata Empty Ukemi-no-kata

Post by Jonesy Fri May 10, 2013 9:14 am

Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

Ukemi-no-kata Empty Re: Ukemi-no-kata

Post by Ben Reinhardt Fri May 10, 2013 11:00 am

The ushiro (koho) ukemi waza with the legs low and spread like that is incorrect in my opinion and as I have been taught over the years. The feet should be kept in general in a shizenhontai position, not spread out. I tend to raise my arms higher as I start to go down as well.

Standards/understanding may be different in different places, though.
    Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

Post by Ben Reinhardt Fri May 10, 2013 11:02 am

The whole "chugari" ushiro ukemi I don't really get. I hate it when I see kids doing it before they can do a decent ushiro ukemi...it's kind of a way to "cheat" and doesn't do uke any good when dropped straight back with a hard throw. For more advanced students who have a solid ushiro ukemi, it's an option but not really necessary.

Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

Post by Ben Reinhardt Fri May 10, 2013 11:06 am

Finally, the whole stiff formal look just turns me off. He wasn't too bad, but, still, I think Judo should look natural and flowing (in general), not stiff and formal even when it IS formal.

The zempo kaiten is hard to judge because of the fuzziness of the video, however, he is taking a small extra step a the end to catch his balance. That is probably more of a performance issue and likely related to those squishy "tatami".

Finally, the ending leg/foot position in the yoko ukemi is a bit off. The feet should be more in a line. Due to fuzziness, it looks like he is placing his bottom foot with the outside edge down instead of rolling it over to hit the top of the foot, but I couldn't really tell. The "up" leg is too far back, the knee being at too acute an angle as well.

Let the outrage begin.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 5:26 pm