E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+3
Blacksmith
genetic judoka
JudoStu
7 posters

No Judo over Christmas, can’t wait to get back on the tatami

JudoStu
    JudoStu

No Judo over Christmas, can’t wait to get back on the tatami Empty No Judo over Christmas, can’t wait to get back on the tatami

Post by JudoStu Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:56 am

My club closed early this year and despite training at another club I haven’t set foot on the tatami since the middle of December and am therefore straining at the leash for training tomorrow night. My goals for this year are to get my blue belt, train hard and compete a couple of times. I know some competitions mix blue and brown belts together so it could make things interesting pale . Maybe practising my breakfalls should be top of my list of things to improve on. Laughing

genetic judoka
    genetic judoka

No Judo over Christmas, can’t wait to get back on the tatami Empty Re: No Judo over Christmas, can’t wait to get back on the tatami

Post by genetic judoka Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:26 am

JudoStu wrote:My club closed early this year and despite training at another club I haven’t set foot on the tatami since the middle of December and am therefore straining at the leash for training tomorrow night. My goals for this year are to get my blue belt, train hard and compete a couple of times. I know some competitions mix blue and brown belts together so it could make things interesting pale . Maybe practising my breakfalls should be top of my list of things to improve on. Laughing

dude, I had to stop practicing at the beginning of december because I promised the wife (at that point merely a fiance) that I would stop 2 weeks before the wedding so my face didn't get busted up. then came the week long honeymoon. I got back a few days before christmas. dojo was closed that week. last wednesday was my first day back on the mat, and only 2 other people showed up. 1 of which couldn't take falls, the other of which weighed 140 lbs (I'm 230). showed up friday, nobody showed up. so quit the whining, it could be worse. you could show up, put your gi on, and then not get to practice.
    Blacksmith
    Blacksmith

No Judo over Christmas, can’t wait to get back on the tatami Empty Re: No Judo over Christmas, can’t wait to get back on the tatami

Post by Blacksmith Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:37 am

[/quote]
    dude, I had to stop practicing at the beginning of december because I promised the wife (at that point merely a fiance) that I would stop 2 weeks before the wedding so my face didn't get busted up. then came the week long honeymoon. I got back a few days before christmas. dojo was closed that week. last wednesday was my first day back on the mat, and only 2 other people showed up. 1 of which couldn't take falls, the other of which weighed 140 lbs (I'm 230). showed up friday, nobody showed up. so quit the whining, it could be worse. you could show up, put your gi on, and then not get to practice.[/quote]

Just an observation. Use of the word "merely", or any synonym therof when applied to the significant other let alone fiance or wife often has the side effect of newaza cancellation at the dojo, and at home. Or so I'm told!
    JudoStu
    JudoStu

Post by JudoStu Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:16 am

genetic judoka wrote:
    JudoStu wrote:My club closed early this year and despite training at another club I haven’t set foot on the tatami since the middle of December and am therefore straining at the leash for training tomorrow night. My goals for this year are to get my blue belt, train hard and compete a couple of times. I know some competitions mix blue and brown belts together so it could make things interesting pale . Maybe practising my breakfalls should be top of my list of things to improve on. Laughing

dude, I had to stop practicing at the beginning of december because I promised the wife (at that point merely a fiance) that I would stop 2 weeks before the wedding so my face didn't get busted up. then came the week long honeymoon. I got back a few days before christmas. dojo was closed that week. last wednesday was my first day back on the mat, and only 2 other people showed up. 1 of which couldn't take falls, the other of which weighed 140 lbs (I'm 230). showed up friday, nobody showed up. so quit the whining, it could be worse. you could show up, put your gi on, and then not get to practice.

No one showing up sucks big time. I feel your pain
    Rob GBR
    Rob GBR

Post by Rob GBR Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:25 am

i feel your pain, although i should gloat about moving to a dojo with sprung floors, and mats as soft as a baby's bum ;D
    judoratt
    judoratt

Post by judoratt Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:39 am

With a major tournament coming up on the 19th of january we practiced all month, on the 26th we had two sessions and one on the 27th, a 10am session on new years day with 22 on the mat. Thursday after the new years we had 16 black belts and 14 mudansha rondoring during the senior class. Many dojos have extra practices during the holidays it is a perfect time. We have always had a 10am practice on new years day.
    Rob GBR
    Rob GBR

Post by Rob GBR Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:33 pm

and i should say our first session back was awesome!! everyone was in high spirits full of energy, infact ive still got sore arms and a sore back from tuesdays sesh and its now thursday morning ;s
    genetic judoka
    genetic judoka

Post by genetic judoka Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:34 am

yesterday night was the first time I actually got to do any randori since dec 1st. I was quite pleased that my ability to endlessly randori without getting winded because I don't over exert myself has lasted. I of course looked like crap out there because it's been a while, but at least I didn't get tired as I cycled through people as they got tired.
    OldeEnglishD
    OldeEnglishD

Post by OldeEnglishD Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:23 pm

I had every intention on going to class over the holiday, then I threw my back out and had to take a week off. I was so glad to get back at it after that. I get cranky if I don't throw somebody for a while! The wife even notices, she will say "you need to go spar, don't you?". Smile
    Jimgo
    Jimgo

Post by Jimgo Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:07 pm

When I was in my teens I absolutely hated Christmas because Caulfield Judo Club here in Melbourne would close down for the entire month of January. One week into Feb I usually though I would go mad with boredom. By the end of January was usually stir-crazy. It must have been similar to withdrawal from a drug.

Looking back I think it's overall a good thing to love your Judo that much but I do feel sorry for anyone missing the training and club scene at the moment. Just remember ...."this too shall pass!"
    Jimgo
    Jimgo

Post by Jimgo Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:07 pm

When I was in my teens I absolutely hated Christmas because Caulfield Judo Club here in Melbourne would close down for the entire month of January. One week into Feb I usually though I would go mad with boredom. By the end of January was usually stir-crazy. It must have been similar to withdrawal from a drug.

Looking back I think it's overall a good thing to love your Judo that much but I do feel sorry for anyone missing the training and club scene at the moment. Just remember ...."this too shall pass!"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 5:21 pm