E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

2 posters

Correct name for Jigoro Kano's father

luizpavani
    luizpavani

Correct name for Jigoro Kano's father Empty Correct name for Jigoro Kano's father

Post by luizpavani Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:54 am

For a while I've been finding mixed results in my research regarding the name of Jigoro Kano's father, more specifically about his middle name.
    The results are:
    1) Jirosaku MARESHIBA Kano
    2) Jirosaku KIRESHIBA Kano

Could anyone tell me which one is correct (or if this is one of the Japanese things, where both are correct)?

Thanks so much for any responses!

Luiz
    NBK
    NBK

Correct name for Jigoro Kano's father Empty Re: Correct name for Jigoro Kano's father

Post by NBK Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:23 pm

Neither, really. The Japanese rarely use middle names, and he appeared not to have, either.

Kano shihan's father was born Shôgeni Mareshiba.

He married the eldest daughter of Kanô Jirô, and adopted into his branch of the Kanô family, adopted the name Kanô Jirôsaku (sort of 'son of Jirô') and became his heir.

Apparently since he was full grown when adopted (as Kanô Jirô did not have a male heir), he was often referred in writing as Kanô Mareshiba, Kanô Jirôsaku, and Kanô Mareshiba Jirôsaku.

Probably face to face simply Kanô san, so not a problem for Japanese. But I've seen him referred to in several ways, but I think it not as a formal 'middle name', as they are not used in Japan.

Yesterday I took a group of students to the Kodokan Museum, rarely open on Saturday in recognition of Kanô shihan's birthday act 28, and there are some calligraphy written by Kanô Jirôsaku. A beautiful hand. But he is even there referred to in different ways like above.

I've never seen Kireshiba. I think that a misprint.

NBK

luizpavani
    luizpavani

Correct name for Jigoro Kano's father Empty Re: Correct name for Jigoro Kano's father

Post by luizpavani Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:36 pm

NBK

That was precious!
    I could not have wished for a better explanation, thanks so much!

Luiz

------------
    PS. I've always been taught "Mareshiba". The confusion arose when I found "Kireshiba" in these two "reputable" sources.
    http://www.joc.or.jp/english/historyjapan/kano_jigoro06.html
    http://www.judo-ch.jp/english/organization/koudoukan/kancyo/
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:35 pm

I have no idea of the origin of 'Kireshiba', I think it simply a typo.

He was an interesting gent, led a life sort of symbolic of the advance of Japan from feudal society to modern rising regional power.

Born son of a Shinto priest's family, the keepers of a thousand year tradition.
    Educated in the Chinese classics and Confucianism.  
    Adopted into the large Kanô family sake brewery business.
    Branched off into priming government contracts and procuring material for the new Imperial Navy ships.
    Moved to Tokyo.
    Took position as high-ranking Navy civilian official.

Interesting life, seeing Japan move from tiny sailing ships to big steam powered warships.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:03 am