E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

3 posters

Creating a new Kata Part I: The "Throwing Circle Kata"

Anatol

Creating a new Kata Part I: The "Throwing Circle Kata" Empty Creating a new Kata Part I: The "Throwing Circle Kata"

Post by Anatol Thu May 09, 2019 9:39 pm

Purpose

- Kata (form) is a tool to learn techniques (waza) and principles (ri) of Judo and to blend them (ri ai)

- Good Judo is done to all directions of unbalancing (happo no kuzushi). You should be able to throw to all directions and not wait or prepare your partner/opponent to only one quarter of the throwing circle for your tokui waza also considering, that direct attacks in modern Judo are more successful than combinations. Therefore it is important to have throws to all four quarters of the circle of unbalancing.

Thoughts

- This Kata can be taught to rather beginners and intermediates (starting with orange or green belt). I use the throws, they know. Kata should be taught early on and not late as a brown and black belt and for dan requirements only.

- The Kata is for Shiai (contest) preparation and should also close the gap between Kata and Shiai. Therefore I decided to use no change of grips from right to left or left to right. Left handed Judoka can practise this Kata left handed.

- The Kata is for tall (first circle) and small/short (second circle) Judoka. Small Judoka will learn techniques for tall Judoka and tall favoured by small. They maybe will see, that they can benefit from each other and not only go for their easier to learn techniques.

- Stepping patterns for this Kata to create Kuzushi - which have to be developed - should in my opinion be circular, moving in circles and throwing in waves. As the Kata is a circle Kata, it would be also aesthetically pleasing.

Techniques

First Circle (tall Judoka)

Uchi Mata (inner thigh), right front quater (from Uke's view)

like to go with hip Uchi mata - maybe I change to leg Uchi mata, because it is a Kata for quite beginners and intermediates (orange and green belt)

O soto gari (big outer reap) , right back quater

Okano style

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loUJH_JgkhY

O uchi gari (big inner reap), left back quater

Sasae tsurikomi ashi(propping lifting-pulling leg), left front quater

pause, adjusting Gi

Second Circle (small/short Judoka)

Ippon Seoi nage (one point shoulder/carry on your back throw), right front quater

Ko soto gari (small outer reap), right back quater

(… …) , left back quater

don't know yet and don't want to repeat O uchi gari

Sode tsurikomi goshi (sleeve lifting-pulling hip), left front quater

Y-Chromosome
    Y-Chromosome

Creating a new Kata Part I: The "Throwing Circle Kata" Empty Re: Creating a new Kata Part I: The "Throwing Circle Kata"

Post by Y-Chromosome Tue May 14, 2019 4:15 am

Anyone below the rank of Kodokan 10th dan is bound to attract criticism for the sin of being so presumptuous as to attempt to devise "kata". The old Judo Forum Cardinals were most vocal on this issue.
    That said, such an "exercise" or "drill" to choose less politically loaded terms can have merit and value in training. I wouldn't discourage anyone from trying to devise better exercises to develop basic skills.
    It's just best to stay away from the "K-word". Even the Kodokan itself never declared Kodokan Goshin Jutsu to be a Kata, per se, although for all practical purposes that's what it is.
    Anatol

Creating a new Kata Part I: The "Throwing Circle Kata" Empty Re: Creating a new Kata Part I: The "Throwing Circle Kata"

Post by Anatol Tue May 14, 2019 7:56 pm

That's the Kodokan view on Kata (form)

to treat Kata as sacrosanct. There can be no new Kata after Kano Shihan …

I see Kata as a tool to teach and learn and practise Judo techniques and principles and Judo as an Art and Way with infinite possibilities and therefore ever evolving. For sure you can not create a random Kata because that makes no sense as Kata should teach techniques and principles.

The common method in teaching Judo is to go technique after technique and therefore sometimes the underlying principles are getting lost. In my opinion to create a "otoshi no kata" (forms of dropping) or a "makikomi kata" (forms of wrapping) or a "kuruma no kata" (forms of wheeling) - and some more - does make a lot of sense to teach the common principles.

Furthermore some effective techniques are getting lost for beginners and intermediates because of the IJF contest leg grab ban (leg grab kata) and some techniques are rarely taught like Sumi otoshi, which really can increase your understanding of Kuzushi. Also not to be too rigid on etiquette and stepping patterns etc can help to increase the interest of the youngster into Kata IF the Kata has also effective throws for contest to all directions - closing the gap between Kata and Randori/Shiai - and is taught with the goal of a dynamic and vivid demonstration and execution.

As I said at the beginning Kata is a tool to teach, learn and practise Judo techniques and principles and blend them. Therefore I call it "Kata". If anyone else like to practise those "Kata" because she or he thinks, that this can be a good and helpful teaching tool and calls it "exercise" or what ever - I don't  mind.

I didn't create those Kata to become immortal in the world of Judo
    noboru
    noboru

Post by noboru Mon May 20, 2019 7:29 pm

Yes, do it. My opinion. Each judo kata could have own education meaning. If it helps you or your pupils with anything in judo technique, it is good way.

Your new kata could contains your view to judo, to your judo practice, to your favourite techniques. If it is useful, people around you will want to practice it.

For example I have own kata - it is similar yakusoku geiko or uchikomi and I can practice kuzushi, taisabaki and my favourite techniques in short time.

-------------------
    Two years ago I heard interesting explanation from one iaido 8th dan sensei about kata. One pupil asked him about differencies between kata and waza. The european pupil used kata term in japanese mostly but sensei uses waza terms instead in their interview. Sensei answered. We practiced waza's not kata's. 形 Kata is only collection of techniques, nothing more (see to 山形 Yamagata (山 Yama hill , 形 gata/kata collection/form) term, there is the same kanji character 形 - collection of hills). Waza is collection of techniques with seme (pressure), riai (sense), (kasso) teki (invisible)opponent and it is preparing/improving self to fight situation. Kata not. Kata is only list/collection/description techniques how to do. We don't practice kata but waza.
    This explanation was interesting for me. In this view I try to practice kata as waza - with riai, not empty movements but movements with meaning and reasons.

noboru
    noboru

Post by noboru Mon May 20, 2019 7:33 pm

Here is example of kata from Mukai sensei. As I understand it, so it is developed for targed - better and safety doing kihon (ukemi, kuzushi/tsukuri, kake, basic nagewaza) in children practice. Nice for me. For your children is possible make own variations.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 1:57 pm