E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+39
NBK
Blacksmith
Tsurumaki
johan smits
j13smiley
medo
raphaelhudson
Judofan
Peahen
Rensa
seatea
Cichorei Kano
Stacey
accident_prone
Ben Reinhardt
genetic judoka
Jonesy
BillC
sodo
Billiam
Ricebale
Davaro
Jimgo
judoratt
JudoSensei
Dutch Budo
Admin
Carlo
Vin
Ouch_that_hurts
Judo Dad
Hanon
OldeEnglishD
Taiobroshi
afja_lm139
Quicksilver
Creamy creamy baileys
ThePieman
NYCNewbie
43 posters

I still can't believe what's happened to the (original) JudoForum

I still can't believe what's happened to the (original) JudoForum - Page 2 Empty Re: I still can't believe what's happened to the (original) JudoForum

Post by Guest Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:49 pm

JudoSensei wrote:
    --- would it be easier to swap over to invision ?

I don't know if it can be switched now. I like the invision software because it has powerful features and excellent admin capabilities. Since that is the software the old forum used everything would be familiar to users. It might even be possible to import old topics from the old forum.

I've just been chatting to Carlo Neil - on the first page of the admin you have a wee notebook admin can leave messages to each other on. Carlo has performed a test on an inactive forum changing it from phbb to invision and apparently there are no problems - so we will try and make the jump over to invision.
    On another note - I had a weird dream last night that pieman had changed the whole forum into a cookery forum ......
    ThePieman
    ThePieman

I still can't believe what's happened to the (original) JudoForum - Page 2 Empty Re: I still can't believe what's happened to the (original) JudoForum

Post by ThePieman Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:05 am

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Can I do that?

What about a sub forum? Suspect
    JudoSensei
    JudoSensei

Post by JudoSensei Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:44 am

judoratt wrote:BTW Neil looks like you had a much easier child hood than BillC, something wrong with his avatar. Shocked Shocked

Judging from the way he looks now, I think he had a harder life than me.
    Jimgo
    Jimgo

Post by Jimgo Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:42 am

Just to add my two cents ...

I can understand why members would want to keep info from the old forum. There was a lot of irreplaceable knowledge about technique, Judo's development and lots of interesting personal experiences.

However there was a lot of subjective argument, repetition and general nonsense that was also posted. Why would one want to enshrine that?

Is it possible or even desirable to select the best quality information threads and keep them. Not every thread was worthy of keeping. Mind you sorting through would be a hell of a job!
    Ouch_that_hurts
    Ouch_that_hurts

Post by Ouch_that_hurts Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:19 am

Jimgo wrote:Just to add my two cents ...

I can understand why members would want to keep info from the old forum. There was a lot of irreplaceable knowledge about technique, Judo's development and lots of interesting personal experiences.

However there was a lot of subjective argument, repetition and general nonsense that was also posted. Why would one want to enshrine that?

Is it possible or even desirable to select the best quality information threads and keep them. Not every thread was worthy of keeping. Mind you sorting through would be a hell of a job!

Well stated!

Post by Guest Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:11 pm

Surely the incessant BJJ vs Judo threads should be permanently preserved for future generations ? and the 33 page pointless argument about climate change by people who's knowledge of meteorology comes from looking out of the window ?
    Anyway there is a legal issue - we can't import any of the old threads anyway or we're toast - it is the intellectual property of those who bought the last Judo forum - so that that.
    NYCNewbie

Post by NYCNewbie Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:34 pm

It's not about whether or not a particular thread was "worthy"- it's about history. Looking through old threads on that forum is fantastic- like taking a walk back through time. Yes, some threads are not great- but I love(d) having them there to peruse. I want to be able to look through them myself and decide myself if I want to read them or not. There is so much on there that IS worthwhile that if they disappear I feel it will be a real blow to Judo. I am an utter Judo nerd. I love- literally LOVE- looking through, say, technique posts from 2007 and seeing what people said. A lot of posters are gone for one reason or another- and I find it utterly fascinating to think "I wonder where ______ is now?"

There is so much on there that is valuable- for a multiplicity of reasons. I want the ability to rummage through ideas and thoughts and find nuggets of gold. Plus, sometimes it's cool just to know that seven years ago someone just like me sucked at Judo. Keeps me going.
    ThePieman
    ThePieman

Post by ThePieman Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:29 pm

Dew wrote:

Surely the incessant BJJ vs Judo threads should be permanently preserved for future generations ? and the 33 page pointless argument about climate change by people who's knowledge of meteorology comes from looking out of the window ?
    Anyway there is a legal issue - we can't import any of the old threads anyway or we're toast - it is the intellectual property of those who bought the last Judo forum - so that that.

Hmmm,

I know on the last forum a lot of the more prolific posters liked to use MS Word, especially for longer thought out posts as the old forum had a bad habit of deleting entire posts on occasions. So then, say a poster has their Word set to default where the essay is saved and still retains a copy on their PC, could that then be posted? I don't remember any kind of contract entered where posters had to sign all of their work over to the JF; I may be wrong. scratch

Post by Guest Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:36 pm

ThePieman wrote:
    Dew wrote:

Hmmm,

I know on the last forum a lot of the more prolific posters liked to use MS Word, especially for longer thought out posts as the old forum had a bad habit of deleting entire posts on occasions. So then, say a poster has their Word set to default where the essay is saved and still retains a copy on their PC, could that then be posted? I don't remember any kind of contract entered where posters had to sign all of their work over to the JF; I may be wrong. scratch

Its in their guidlines section - you agree by signing up all you write becomes the property of the Judo forum. Personally I detest that - as far as I'm concerned the policy of this board is if it came out of your mind its still yours even if you post it here.
    Davaro
    Davaro

Post by Davaro Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:38 pm

Dew wrote:
    ThePieman wrote:
    Dew wrote:

Hmmm,

Its in their guidlines section - you agree by signing up all you write becomes the property of the Judo forum. Personally I detest that - as far as I'm concerned the policy of this board is if it came out of your mind its still yours even if you post it here.

+1 to that...
    Judo Dad
    Judo Dad

Post by Judo Dad Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:44 pm

Dew wrote:
    ThePieman wrote:
    Dew wrote:

Hmmm,

If they had guidelines claiming rights to your first born child I doubt they could enforce it!
    Is it a US site? The US Constitution says something about inalienable rights and most countries have similar laws that prevent the signing away of basic rights.
    Ricebale
    Ricebale

Post by Ricebale Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:21 am

Legal action costs heaps and is for practice purposes unenforceable in foruegn jurisdictions (unless you are Apple or Microsoft)

On a costs basis a web company who buys sites to spam ads is not going to pursue the complicated arguments associated with intellectual property theft. Just take what you want is my view, if it was private or restricted it shouldn't have been up on a forum for all to see.

Cheers
    Judo Dad
    Judo Dad

Post by Judo Dad Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:40 am

Ricebale wrote:Legal action costs heaps and is for practice purposes unenforceable in foruegn jurisdictions (unless you are Apple or Microsoft)

On a costs basis a web company who buys sites to spam ads is not going to pursue the complicated arguments associated with intellectual property theft. Just take what you want is my view, if it was private or restricted it shouldn't have been up on a forum for all to see.

Cheers

+1
    Billiam
    Billiam

Post by Billiam Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:26 am

Ricebale wrote:Legal action costs heaps and is for practice purposes unenforceable in foruegn jurisdictions (unless you are Apple or Microsoft)

Cheers

Nobody was compensated for their posts, so I am pretty sure the legalities are that the rights of content were never transferred to "the forum"

But if we are talking historical preservation anyways here, I would say to anyone that cares to just copy everything and archive it

Remember, history is written be the victors

Post by Guest Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:55 am

Billiam wrote:
    Nobody was compensated for their posts, so I am pretty sure the legalities are that the rights of content were never transferred to "the forum"

All posts become the property of the JudoForum

Second to last line :

http://JudoForum.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

It should go without saying but just so you know this is not the case here - your posts are your own .

Billiam
    Billiam

Post by Billiam Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:08 pm

As mentioned, they can say whatever they want in the user agreement, and anyone can even agree to it, but it isn't a) validated or b) upheld, until it goes to legal action and is decided on

For an example, if I were to post Coca Colas secret formula on the JF, do you really think they then own the content?

Also, we have quoted many excerpts from published text on JF, they can't now "own" that

Post by Guest Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:33 pm

Billiam wrote:As mentioned, they can say whatever they want in the user agreement, and anyone can even agree to it, but it isn't a) validated or b) upheld, until it goes to legal action and is decided on

For an example, if I were to post Coca Colas secret formula on the JF, do you really think they then own the content?

Also, we have quoted many excerpts from published text on JF, they can't now "own" that

Oh I agree its silly - but it means we cant port any of the old posts over here - if someone archives them on their own computer I cant see how they'd know.
    Jimgo
    Jimgo

Post by Jimgo Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:54 pm

Judo Dad wrote:

Cheers

+1

+2
    Hanon

Post by Hanon Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:29 am

Women!!!! Where IS Stacey when she is needed.

Hey lads and lasses we all have unqualified opinions about the law but lets not push Dew into doing something HE carries the can for. WE can walk away HE cant.

I simply don't know if there even is AN answer to this as there are a countries law then European law then international law. Some lawyers now study this one field of internet law as a speciality.

I have spoken with the president of our Yudanshakai here who is a very experienced lawyer and as far as my work is concerned and the old JF my work is mine and not the intellectual property of Judosensei. IF it was and Judosensei then sold my work he would have been in breach of my legal rights?
    I had no contract with judosensei so my work is freely available on the open internet. This applies to me though living where I do in Europe and may not apply to a poster who lives in the USA? Its apparently rather complex. If anything the sale for profit of my posts made on the JF could be raised?

If complaints are made to the owners of this forum site it can be closed without warning?

I hope dew will act as he thinks fit or better speak with a lawyer and take professional advice. Get said advice in writing too.

Mike
    sodo
    sodo

Post by sodo Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:57 pm

Judo Dad wrote:It is a shame to loose some of the great articles on the old JF site but this is a golden opportunity to start afresh and develop an even better site. So far this site appears free from trolls and undesirables which is most fortunate. Very Happy

Sorry Judo Dad but i got in anyway Very Happy

Hi all,

It;s your ever friendly, politicaly incorrect paddy from Germany here.

Since it is a brand new forum with lots of "nice" people wanting sensible conversations about judo I have decided to act appropriately (at first) and have given myself a suitable new handle. sodo lite, bit I may have to change back to the old sodo once the rest of the riff raff turn up.

all the best

sodo lite

Post by Guest Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:03 pm

Hanon wrote:Women!!!! Where IS Stacey when she is needed.

Hey lads and lasses we all have unqualified opinions about the law but lets not push Dew into doing something HE carries the can for. WE can walk away HE cant.

Thanks Hanon - I did speak to someone - there will be no porting of posts across here. As far as archiving the last forum for personal browsing offline goes - I think several people have already done it ....
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:05 pm

sodo lite wrote:
    Judo Dad wrote:It is a shame to loose some of the great articles on the old JF site but this is a golden opportunity to start afresh and develop an even better site. So far this site appears free from trolls and undesirables which is most fortunate. Very Happy

Hi all,

Since it is a brand new forum with lots of "nice" people wanting sensible conversations about judo I have decided to act appropriately (at first) and have given myself a suitable new handle. sodo lite, bit I may have to change back to the old sodo once the rest of the riff raff turn up.

all the best

sodo lite

Patrick Michael ... 'zat you?
    sodo
    sodo

Post by sodo Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:11 pm

BillC wrote:
    sodo lite wrote:

Hi all,

all the best

sodo lite

Patrick Michael ... 'zat you?
    Yepp!!, the one and only Twisted Evil Very Happy bounce
    Hanon

Post by Hanon Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:21 am

Is the judoinfo site forum still operative?

Mike
    ThePieman
    ThePieman

Post by ThePieman Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:01 am

Yes,

Seems fine: http://www.judoinfo.com/new/

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Jul 28, 2024 12:37 am