E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+8
genetic judoka
Judo Dad
heikojr
Hanon
ThePieman
Rob GBR
Blacksmith
Taiobroshi
12 posters

How does one start "doing" kata?

jkw

How does one start "doing" kata? - Page 2 Empty Re: How does one start "doing" kata?

Post by jkw Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:48 am

When I trained in New York, our lunch-time training sessions (1.5 hours) typically included about 10 mins of ju-no-kata or nage-no-kata. Sensei would vary the sets, or sometimes focus soley on one or two techniques. It's the only time I've had kata integrated so thoroughly into training. Really enjoyed it.
    genetic judoka
    genetic judoka

How does one start "doing" kata? - Page 2 Empty Re: How does one start "doing" kata?

Post by genetic judoka Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:43 am

Hanon wrote:

Great to learn you are happy and the knee is better.

Ju no kata is perhaps unique in that this kata is of value to non judoka, it can be practiced as an exercise in stretching only! The more we understand judo or desire to understand the more we can learn and use from the practice of ju no kata. I muss this kata as it was the one judo thing I did that sorted my mind out when I got stressed. Like a medically prescribed drug.

Do not see ju no kats as a mountain that cannot be climbed see it for what you can learn from it at all the various stages you pass though on your judo journey. We don't need to know the inner life's work of Gustav Otto to drive a car. There is time to learn what this chap was all about.

Please look after that knee. Give yourself time to settle back to training.

Best wishes,

Mike

some have said that one should learn nage and katame before learning ju. what are your thoughts on this? if this kata has benefits to non judoka, then in theory the prerequisites for learning this kata are few, right?
    judoratt
    judoratt

Post by judoratt Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:50 pm

Taiobroshi wrote:This has always intrigued me because I rarely run into people who take kata seriously in the Northeast. You would think that the teaching of pre-arranged educational forms would be more standard, but other than Nage no Kata which is used for grading I don't see a lot enthusiasm for this side of Judo. The fact that I've never seen katame no kata outside when it seems directly useful for randori is strange. So basically I'm asking:

1) What is the "kata culture" like around you?
    2) If there is none, what is your impression of kata?

Discuss.
    -Ben

The short answer is find a partner and do kata at any level you can find.
    Hanon

Post by Hanon Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:03 am

genetic judoka wrote:
    Hanon wrote:

Great to learn you are happy and the knee is better.

Ju no kata is perhaps unique in that this kata is of value to non judoka, it can be practiced as an exercise in stretching only! The more we understand judo or desire to understand the more we can learn and use from the practice of ju no kata. I muss this kata as it was the one judo thing I did that sorted my mind out when I got stressed. Like a medically prescribed drug.

Do not see ju no kats as a mountain that cannot be climbed see it for what you can learn from it at all the various stages you pass though on your judo journey. We don't need to know the inner life's work of Gustav Otto to drive a car. There is time to learn what this chap was all about.

Please look after that knee. Give yourself time to settle back to training.

Best wishes,

Mike

some have said that one should learn nage and katame before learning ju. what are your thoughts on this? if this kata has benefits to non judoka, then in theory the prerequisites for learning this kata are few, right?

Simple enough question, the answers are not so simple.

The randori no kata should be practiced in parallel with randori and shiai etc. They all compliment each other and are inseparable. Its too late to practice the randori no kata after ones days of randori and shiai are over.

The ju no kata is complex, not only in its physical actions but the depth of value this kata holds for a given individual at a given time in their judo or non judo life.

A non judoka could learn the form of ju no kata and practice it as an exercise in flexibility.

Judoka should take from this kata more and more as they progress through their weekly judo.

It does no harm to learn ju no kata at any age or rank. It could be questioned that the value of learning such a kata as a child white belt is questionable due to the time constraints on a dojo and teaching-learning time PLUS in terms of being a judoka one needs to understand that the ju no kata is so much more than a physical exercise. Ju no kata is the essence in motion of the core values and principles of kodokan judo.

I have to go out and will come back to you if you need clarification on this.

Best wishes,

Mike
    kodokanjudo
    kodokanjudo

Post by kodokanjudo Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:01 pm

Hanon-sensei is 100% correct in saying that both nage-no-kata and gatame-no-kata should be learned and practiced alongside with randori and shiai.
    Best and simplest way I can describe it is that they are like the "grammar and spelling" of the judo "reading and writing".

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 5:53 pm